D7100 ISO Button

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just received my D7100 from the mail today and moved up from the D3100; I am still trying to get familiar with this camera and learning its buttons. So far I am enjoying this camera a lot, but my concern is the ISO button which is on the bottom left corner. When I was shooting with my D3100, I used the FN button and set that up as my ISO button which worked out for me really well, but for the D7100, it does not let me set my FN button to be my ISO button which is really unfortunate.

I guess my question is, is there an alternative to the ISO button, again I just got this camera earlier today so I have not fully explored the beauty of this camera. The D7100's ISO is just extremely tight and it feels extremely awkward having my thumb between my face and my camera. It's not a deal breaker, but still would prefer if Nikon allowed me to set the FN to be my ISO button.

Thanks!!

you too? isn't that annoying as hell?

Use easy ISO. Command dial controls ISO - which dial depends on mode (A or S).

Menu Item d3 - Show ISO/Easy ISO.

You might change ISO accidentally until you get used to it, but it's easy and doesn't waste the function button.
ISO is displayed in VF.

My 2 cents.

Yep agreed, I think Nikon just makes little faults here and there in their DX and low level FX cameras to make you want to upgrade to their higher level pro cameras.
You will find there are ways around this issue.

Use easy ISO. Command dial controls ISO - which dial depends on mode (A or S).

Menu Item d3 - Show ISO/Easy ISO.

You might change ISO accidentally until you get used to it, but it's easy and doesn't waste the function button.
ISO is displayed in VF.

My 2 cents.

you have me wondering what you have on the function button

There is an ISO button on the D7100....left hand side lined up with the 3 other buttons. It does have a triple purpose....not just ISO....also a zoom, or used as one of two buttons to hit for a reset.

Who changes their ISO while looking through the VF?
CalvinBlink2.gif

Who changes their ISO while looking through the VF?
CalvinBlink2.gif
I do sometimes
My ISO is set before I raise the camera to my eye. It's either already set before I arrive, or I set it as soon as I turn the camera on when on-site.
depends on the instance for me and what im shooting. But if im looking through the viewfinder and framing my shot and notice my shutter speed is a little low or change the aperture ill bump the iso too. Or if im looking through and notice my iso on auto ill change it to take it off auto see where it goes then adjust it. Really just depends. if im doing a static shot ill do it before hand usually.
im not real accustomed to having the top window or using live view either as im used to shooting on other cameras. sometimes ill forget where it is, go to take a shot and see it, then change it last minute. I have a issue with forgetting previous camera settings. Do the same with the shutter speed and af .
im wondering how you have it set before you get on site, im guessing you know before hand what you are shooting. I almost never do. totally random.

bribrius said:

YES--we are ALL wondering! Sitting here with bated breath, awaiting your decision!

Here's a nice, short on-line article by Douglass Klostermann, who reviewed the D7100 and write a book called The D7100 Experience. He offers some tips and brief insights into the new Button control the D7100 offers, as well as a a list of his top ten tips for the D7100. Modern d-slrs have become sooooooo complicated that it really can pay off to have an expert's opinion on a single body, because some of the bodies have different approaches. It's true; not all the Nikon bodies offer the same control methods!

Nikon D7100 tips and tricks

For "me", with a different camera, I have the Function button set up to be the way I switch into crop-mode shooting.

bribrius said:

YES--we are ALL wondering! Sitting here with bated breath, awaiting your decision!

Here's a nice, short on-line article by Douglass Klostermann, who reviewed the D7100 and write a book called The D7100 Experience. He offers some tips and brief insights into the new Button control the D7100 offers, as well as a a list of his top ten tips for the D7100. Modern d-slrs have become sooooooo complicated that it really can pay off to have an expert's opinion on a single body, because some of the bodies have different approaches. It's true; not all the Nikon bodies offer the same control methods!

Nikon D7100 tips and tricks

For "me", with a different camera, I have the Function button set up to be the way I switch into crop-mode shooting.

thanks derrel, the only changes so far I made are the auto focus on the ael button (course then I missed a few shots forgetting I did that) and the iso change above. which oddly enough sometimes I still seem to have to hit the iso button then one of the command dials to change the iso im wondering if it is a mode thing. id rather have the command dials for just shutter and aperature anyway but the iso button is annoying, the body needs a third dial I think.

I do sometimes
My ISO is set before I raise the camera to my eye. It's either already set before I arrive, or I set it as soon as I turn the camera on when on-site.
depends on the instance for me and what im shooting. But if im looking through the viewfinder and framing my shot and notice my shutter speed is a little low or change the aperture ill bump the iso too. Or if im looking through and notice my iso on auto ill change it to take it off auto see where it goes then adjust it. Really just depends. if im doing a static shot ill do it before hand usually.
im not real accustomed to having the top window or using live view either as im used to shooting on other cameras. sometimes ill forget where it is, go to take a shot and see it, then change it last minute. I have a issue with forgetting previous camera settings. Do the same with the shutter speed and af .
im wondering how you have it set before you get on site, im guessing you know before hand what you are shooting. I almost never do. totally random.

To me, this is just totally bass ackwards.

I can't see not having the ISO set before I even attempt to raise the camera to my eye, and more than a woodworker not marking a piece of wood and setting up his saw properly first. I've never seen Norm Abram just toss a sheet of plywood onto a table saw and start tearing into it, only to stop and think, "Gee, maybe I should get a pencil, a tape measure and a straight-edge to mark where I want to cut this."

ISO, shutter speed, aperture, white balance and focal length can be decided before you even pull out the camera and you're looking at the scene. Sorry, but that's just me.

Most reactions

Back