D7100 vs D600 Autfocus

nlb2282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm debating between these two cameras. I like the appeal of the D600 since it's FF and within my price range (can't afford the D800), but am concerned about the AF system compared to the D7100. I know the difference in the number of focal points and cross focal points, but what I really want to do know is if the D600 is as good as tracking as the D7100? I mainly shoot kids and families, so I need something that has good tracking as kids never sit still. I'm torn because I would like the FF due to better image quality and low light capabilities, but if the AF isn't as good then I'll consider the D7100. Thanks!

The D600 AF module will not perform as well as the D7100 AF module, but the D600 AF module is still pretty good at tracking.

Years ago we didn't have autofocus or 3D tracking or automatic metering or anything else, yet we managed to get photographs of kids then to.

Autofocus is handy, but it isn't the ultimate tool. 3D tracking (or any other kind of tracking) is worthless in my opinion, and the first thing I disable when I get a new camera.

Years ago we didn't have autofocus or 3D tracking or automatic metering or anything else, yet we managed to get photographs of kids then to.

Autofocus is handy, but it isn't the ultimate tool. 3D tracking (or any other kind of tracking) is worthless in my opinion, and the first thing I disable when I get a new camera.

How would you know if it's worthless if it's the first thing you disable when you buy a new camera? ;-) Have you given it a fair shake? It has gotten much better over the years. I know that my brain speed is slower than than of a computer...

So how does the D600 AF compare to the D700?

How would you know if it's worthless if it's the first thing you disable when you buy a new camera? ;-) Have you given it a fair shake? It has gotten much better over the years. I know that my brain speed is slower than than of a computer...

Touche. Yes, I have tried it, and yes I did word that badly. I did, however, state that it was my opinion. My brain speed is also slower than that of a computer, or even an abacus sometimes, however it also knows what I'm trying to do whereas my camera doesn't always understand that.

I was shooting a gull last fall and decided to give 3D tracking a try again (not the first time). The bird was flying about over a small lake and the tracking module was completely incapable of keeping up with it. It wasn't flying that fast, and at the time there was only one of them in the air, it just would not stay focused on the. I could easily autofocus on one when tracking was disabled, but not with it enabled.

Most reactions

Back