D7100 vs D600

nikonuser1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for advice. I currently use a nikon D7000 for everything. I would like to get another body and keep my D7000 as my backup. I was thinking about the D7100 but would rather have the high iso capabilities of the D600. I want to shoot in the studio and also shoot Weddings with it. Please let me know your thoughts. Oh, I forgot to mention that there are some reviews complaining about the D600 having spots on the sensor.

Other than the image sensor and some minor details related to the image sensor size difference, the D7000 and the D600 are the same camera.

Some of every new camera Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Olympus/Panasonic/Sony/ETC releases have problems, which is why they come with a warranty.

The vast majority perform just as advertised.

Last edited:
FX versus DX REALLY, significantly changes one's lens use needs and patterns. Neither is inherently "better or worse than" the other; DX yields a bit more depth of field for each picture angle of view, compared against FX; FX seems to offer more, total lens choices from Nikon, and the third-party manufacturers.

FX really,really changes the PRIME lens lineup and how it works. ON FX, an 85mm prime becomes super-useful indoors; on DX, in many scenarios, you will find the 85mm is far too narrow to get the shot you want in doors, under "normal" everyday circumstances. I personally dislike DX with the 50 and 85mm lengths indoors...even 35mm is a bit too long for many situations; on FX, 35mm is a wonderful length, as is 28mm. Indoors, on FX, and 85mm is very useful.

The 24-70mm zoom, and the 70-200/2.8 BOTH are super-useful on FX in social situations, but, again, indoors, on DX, neither of those lenses are really "ideal".

I would get the D600. I use to shoot with a D7000 and loved absolutely everything about that camera except that it didn't cut it for me in low light situations. From playing with my coworkers D7100 for while on a few occasions and what he had to say about it, I knew that it wouldn't be much of an improvement in ISO performance over the D7000. So I bought the D600 and am very satisfied with it on all accounts. It has literally all the things I loved about the D7000 with some minor improvements and the low light performance is great. I've compared some of my D7000 photos shot at ISO 1600 and they look comparable to what comes out of my D600 at ISO 6400 under similar lighting conditions. After about 2000 shots, I did notice two tiny spots on my sensor on the upper left corner. They were only visible at F/8 or higher and you really had to look for them to see them. I bought a $5 blower and blew them right off in a matter of seconds. I went through another 1000 shots since then and no spots to speak of. I have the wet sensor swabs handy just in case. I wouldn't let the over-advertised "sensor dust/oil" issue sway your decision from buying this great camera.

FX versus DX REALLY, significantly changes one's lens use needs and patterns. Neither is inherently "better or worse than" the other; DX yields a bit more depth of field for each picture angle of view, compared against FX; FX seems to offer more, total lens choices from Nikon, and the third-party manufacturers.

FX really,really changes the PRIME lens lineup and how it works. ON FX, an 85mm prime becomes super-useful indoors; on DX, in many scenarios, you will find the 85mm is far too narrow to get the shot you want in doors, under "normal" everyday circumstances. I personally dislike DX with the 50 and 85mm lengths indoors...even 35mm is a bit too long for many situations; on FX, 35mm is a wonderful length, as is 28mm. Indoors, on FX, and 85mm is very useful.

The 24-70mm zoom, and the 70-200/2.8 BOTH are super-useful on FX in social situations, but, again, indoors, on DX, neither of those lenses are really "ideal".

This ^^

There is Pros and Cons to each format and it really comes down to what you're shooting. I'm still an amateur but I would think Studio/Wedding photographers could benefit more from a Full Frame camera than a Crop camera.

Thanks everyone for your help. It sounds to me like the obvious choice would be to upgrade to the D600. 1. Better Iso performance. 2. More dynamic range. 3. Shorter depth of field for a better bokeh.

Most reactions

Back