D7200 AF Lag

sparelink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Shot my first shoot with my refurb d7200 tonight. I have it setup for BBF. I noticed that after the camera sat for a minute, when I press the AF-l button to focus, there was a slight delay before the AF started. Once I pressed a button the AF was Instant. But if I let the camera sit for a minute or two untouched then it was lag behind when I pressed the button. It is like it is in a sleep mode and has to be woken before it can work. I would prefer there be no lag time at all 100% of the time. Is there a setting or is this just something that I have to get used too?

Sorry whats BBF ?

I believe the D750 and D7200 has same AF, I never noticed any lag time on mine even if camera was left idle for an hour or more.

It sounds like the camera is going into standby mode, which I don't think you can physically alter in the menu settings. One way to test whether it is indeed going into sleep mode, thereby causing an AF lag and not some other issue, is to set the metering delay mode from the default few seconds to say 5 minutes or longer. Sit the camera down for 2-3 minutes like before, then press the AF-1/BBF.

If there is no delay, like there was before, then you know it is indeed standby mode kicking in and causing the issue. The metering delay will get around this problem but, be aware that your battery will drain faster, as the camera will constantly meter for the duration you set the timer for. Not so much a problem if you have multiple batteries or access to a power outlet but, if shooting out in the field all day, you could run out of juice if you don't have enough batteries.

If there is still an AF lag, something else is afoot. Is it the same for all lenses? Are you using AF-S or AF-D lenses? You could try setting the AF to the default shutter release and see if the lag persists, or temporarily assign another button as the BBF.

Give the above a try first then let us know.

One of my pet peeves of the D7200 is the standby or sleep mode ,It's rather slow coming out unlike my D7000 which is almost instant but otherwise great camera. I would imagine a firmware update could easily fix this but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It sounds like the camera is going into standby mode, which I don't think you can physically alter in the menu settings

Yes I think this is the issue. I'll have to play with the setting and see what works best for me.

Must say have never noticed this on my D7200 and I can't remember it ever going in to standby mode

This is interesting
What is STAND BY mode?

Most reactions

Back