D7200-best APS-C camera ever tested on DXOMARK

DxO Mark uses the words "same sensor", but I think they should be a bit more accurate and say "same sensel", meaning the light-sensitve part, and then tack on a statement about the anti-aliasing filter, or lack of one, and the microlens array, which are items that Nikon does the engineering for. And of course, there is the hardware in the camera, the electronics, and the image processing engine. The camera maker has to optimize the camera performance for whatever imager they decide to use. A good example of "the same sensel", often referred to as the same sensor, was the 24 MP one made by Sony, and used in the Nikon D3x and also the Sony Alpha 900, two FX d-slr's premiered in 2009 I guess it was. Nikon sunk a lot of engineering and money into electronics, and made a much,much better performing camera, with vastly superior color rendering across the ISO range.

I want to see how Adobe's raw conversion tools handle the D7200's .NEF files. Maybe next month???

Last edited:
Not going to lie, i love me some DXO scores :)... and everybody knows Canon sensors cant match Sony/Nikon sensors..

But i have to look at the EXIF info sometimes to tell if i shot a picture on a D7000, D7100 or 7DmkII :)

( Lets hope Nikon has an exclusive contract with Sony.. Canon has to get tired of its low scores at some point )
I think the d7100 and 7200 use toshiba sensors.

didn't the 7100 have Toshiba but then they used Sony for the 7200 ? Not that it really matters, I just go by what I see and so far i really like what i see from the 7200.

didn't the 7100 have Toshiba but then they used Sony for the 7200 ? Not that it really matters, I just go by what I see and so far i really like what i see from the 7200.

Yeahhhhh, in an effort to answer this, I went over to dPreview and waded through about six pages of posts regarding this, and learned some interesting things. Short answer:there is a LOT of confusion about this, even among some of the big-name web writers, including Thom Hogan. I could not get a satisfactory answer, but I DID learn something about how people regard the new D5500's high-ISO performance, as well as the D7200's High ISO capabilities in the ISO 12,800 range.

I have been truly amazed with the abilities of the 7200 especially the low light usage of it easily getting up to 12k.

YES--this was news to me, and it held true with the D5500. It seems that the new Expeed processor, and maybe some tweaks to the imaging pipeline have resulted in richer color, and less noise, with the degree of color richness at the higher ISO range being something almost every single observer noted. The D5500's performance at higher ISO was universally lauded--as much for high-ISO color retention as for noise, which is a HUGE deal.

This is making me want to see what the D7200's full bit depth .NEF files can look like when processed well by an experienced worker. Nikon has always been conservative on rating higher ISO settings at either "real" values, or as High values, like Hi 0.3, Hi 0.7, Hi 1.0 and so on...and the new-gen models have the top ISO 25k as a real value, not as a High-equivalent, so, that's super-positive in my book.

I think with the D7200 Nikon has came out with the most rounded, well balanced general used crop sensor cropped sensor camera in the market today.
For any serious enthusiast photographer or even a pro who is looking for a second body who wants a crop sensor camera the D7200 is offering best camera and best value for money.
The 7D II has bigger buffer and higher burst rate but is bellow the D7200 pretty much in everything else and cost more.
The NX1 also has higher burst rate but again is more expensive and has a very, very poor lens offering and has focusing issues in lower light situation.

I know the D7200 isnt a huge improvement over the D7100, the D7100 is a solid camera but I must admit the more I read and hear about the D7200 the happier I get that I moved to FX and sold off my D7100 or else I would have been eventually forced to get the D7200 over my old trusted D7100.

I think with the D7200 Nikon has came out with the most rounded, well balanced general used crop sensor cropped sensor camera in the market today.
For any serious enthusiast photographer or even a pro who is looking for a second body who wants a crop sensor camera the D7200 is offering best camera and best value for money.
The 7D II has bigger buffer and higher burst rate but is bellow the D7200 pretty much in everything else and cost more.
The NX1 also has higher burst rate but again is more expensive and has a very, very poor lens offering and has focusing issues in lower light situation.

I know the D7200 isnt a huge improvement over the D7100, the D7100 is a solid camera but I must admit the more I read and hear about the D7200 the happier I get that I moved to FX and sold off my D7100 or else I would have been eventually forced to get the D7200 over my old trusted D7100.

Who would have forced you to get the D7200? Nikon didn’t force me to upgrade from the D200 to D300, I chose to do that. I chose to get a D7000 because Nikon was dragging its feet on the D400. No one has forced me to get a D7100 or D7200.

Who would have forced you to get the D7200? Nikon didn’t force me to upgrade from the D200 to D300, I chose to do that. I chose to get a D7000 because Nikon was dragging its feet on the D400. No one has forced me to get a D7100 or D7200.
I'd rather spend my money on quality glass than to try to stay on the ragged edge of camera body technology. IMO, there isn't enough of an improvement between the D7200 and the D7100 to "force" me to upgrade. That said, if I didn't already have a D7100, I would definitely buy the D7200.

I would have forced myself, I am weird like that, cant help myself.
You think photography equipment is bad, I also collect watch, OMG if I didn't stop for now buying watches I wouldn't be able to afford even my D60.

Yep I am weak :(

I'd rather spend my money on quality glass than to try to stay on the ragged edge of camera body technology. IMO, there isn't enough of an improvement between the D7200 and the D7100 to "force" me to upgrade. That said, if I didn't already have a D7100, I would definitely buy the D7200.
Quality glass, I agree but I have exactly the glass I want, need or dreamt of, there isn't a single glass right now I would buy even if money wasn't an issue.
Ok, maybe the Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR but I really don't need a macro lens at the moment.
Equipment wise I have exact what I wanted which means I have no excuse when I get bad images :( LOL

Quality glass, I agree but I have exactly the glass I want, need or dreamt of, there isn't a single glass right now I would buy even if money wasn't an issue.
Ok, maybe the Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR but I really don't need a macro lens at the moment.
Equipment wise I have exact what I wanted which means I have no excuse when I get bad images :( LOL

I'm still trying to acquire all the glass I "think" I need, but there always seems to be too much month at the end of the money.
If they ever reduce the number of days in a month, I'll have to find other excuses for my bad images :biglaugh:

I'm still trying to acquire all the glass I "think" I need, but there always seems to be too much month at the end of the money.
If they ever reduce the number of days in a month, I'll have to find other excuses for my bad images :biglaugh:
Feel your pain ;) took me a long time to get to where I am gear wise and my wife still doesn't understand what was so wrong with the D7100 I just had to do the jump to FX, the truth I have no answer to give her, she is right but sometimes the heart is stronger then any rational reason :)

Most reactions

Back