d7200 vs d700 compare but cant made up my mind..

gtrgodzilla66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello guys , i am looking to upgrade my camera from d5200 , the reason i make this thread is to ask for your opinions and most base on your experience with these two cameras
i mostly shoot automotive photography and landscape and some portrait shot with bokeh , i am undecided between d700 or d7200 . As far as i understand the 7200 score higher then anything that d700 , except in low light , i understand that the d700 have a full frame sensor and d7200 have dx sensor and to be honest i quite really dont care about full frame or or ASP-C, , Unless the FX format have higher image quality then the d7200 , then im sold but at the same time the d700 is 8 years old and the d7200 is the newest things , i dont really care about wifi , or gps , or VIDEO !!!! ( i dont do videos ) but what i am after is that , will fx have more quality images then dx ever will ? and my price range for upgrading is 900-1000 , i can get a new d7200 for around that range but for the d700 i have to pay above my range, but i dont mind the extra bucks if it worth upgrading to FX , the d700 score everything lower then d7200 but the only thing that it score higher then d7200 is IMAGING Categories . so which one should i upgrade too,

ps, sorry for the bad english , is close to 1am here but i just wanted to get out of my mind the UNDECIDED FACTOR OF BOTH CAMERAS..

I have a d7200 and like it. A friend recently got rid of his d7200 and bought a d700 and prefers it. It's hard to say though.

A d7200 will be very similar in images quality to your own d5200, the improvement will probably be not noticed. The d7200 has better control and weather's seals etc, but not much in the way of image improvement

Take into consideration the lenses that you have, and the lenses that you will want. The D7200 is the safe bet if you already have DX lenses, and you do not have a budget to purchase FX lenses.

The main advantage of having a full frame sensor is having a lot more lenses available.

That will make sense, anyway. Certainly you can get the mighty 14-24mm f2.8 and put it in front of your APS-C camera ... but it will be an effective 21-36mm zoom, and a very expensive, large, and bulky one at that.

Using full frame lenses makes sense for 50mm and above - below its stupid.

And these full frame lenses are overall better optical and build quality, too.

The main disadvantage of full frame is also the lenses. They are larger, heavier, more expensive, and while you wont have much issue to use a full frame lens on a half frame sensor, the other way around means your viewfinder will look funny because the lens can no longer fill the whole area with light, plus your effective resolution will plummet. For example a D750 will turn into a 10 Megapixel camera, or a D810 into a 15 Megapixel camera.

In short, you really cant use a half frame lens on a full frame camera, except if you do it only rarely.

So about your question: D700 or D7200 ? Apples and oranges, really.

The D700 is a great tool for example for portraiture work. The large sensor will give you good small depth of field, the large pixel sites will give you very low light noise (noise from the fact that light isnt perfectly distributed, but distributed in a completely random fashion, thus the more light you record the less such natural noise you will get). You will however most likely need new glas.

The D7200 on the other hand is a crippled sports camera. Crippled as in, well the autofocus is really good and the buffer isnt bad either, but the fps are surprisingly low for this kind of camera, a professional will prefer a D500 or one of the D3*, D4* or D5 cameras, because fps gives them better chances at catching the right moment.

Which would I prefer ? The D700, without a moment of hesitation. People are my main interest, not sports. Or macro, or wildlife, for which the D7200 would also be the superior choice.

If you are looking at a d700 then you should also consider a much more modern d600/d610.
I was in the same situation as you, though low light is of prime importance to me.

When I had my d7000 though I bought only FF lenses, mostly AF-D for low cost entry. Then later looked at the d7100 vs d600 refurb / d700, and went the d600 route. I already had the lenses, so no other costs there.

It all depends upon your entire "package" and budget and what you want to use everything for.

trying to figure out why youre not looking at a D610?

oh wow...im so glad that i have checked out the d610...have everything that d700 have and d610 it just better...wow

EXactly what I was thinking!

I would go for the D610 over the D7200 or the D700
D7200 might have little advantage for sports and wildlife due to superior AF system but the D610 AF system is plenty good.
Sensor on the D610 is better then the one on the D700 or D7200

I quoted him doubly because his point slaps me in the face every time I look at D610 images....it might be the single BEST camera buy around...the sheer quality of the D610's images is impressive. The D700 is nowhere near as impressive. YES, it was a good camera in its era, but the D600 and D610 have just totally beautiful image quality, as does the D750, but it costs a lot more money.

Have you seen the gorgeous images Braineack makes with his D610 every time he shoots it? Have you seen what an ***astounding** studio flash camera it is?

The D7200 is a good camera too.

to be fair, my images only look good cause I own a really nice camera.

Otherwise I might have to blush at the compliment.

You haven't expressed why the current camera is unsatisfactory and what you expect the new one to do to improve it. Would it make sense to nail that down before you go shopping?

thank you guys. for your input..and..as much as i read the ocmment i would just do it and buuy the d610..but for narrow it down .. i haven seen raw unedit picture kf d610 yet...but i seen plenty of.d700 raw unedit images..cause my frjend hve a d700.. and his master also does.....and his master told him to.het d700 so.he dd..and now ny friend is giving me a glimps at the d7pp unedit picture and i love it...it look almost as good as edited picture .

TO FMW : reason why i am upgrading.because d5200 is awesome..and i use it alot..since i.brok my d3300 shutter at 350k picture actuations , but th d5200 raw unedited picture doesnt come anywhere near the d700 raw unedit images (let just pretend i never asked about d7200)..so tgat why i am.looking into the d700 ..cause i just fall in love with it when i look at my friends raw nef unedit files.

will someone post up osme raw unedit d610 picture sample ?

PS ; does the d610 havr the oil sulhutter and dust particle problem still ?

D610

1.Oil/Dust problem was a D600 thing, D610 solved this issue!
2.D610 has better dynamic range then D700
3.D610 has better low light performance then D700
4.D610 has double the resolution then the D700

Dont have RAW files but its just a better camera then the D700, its using a better sensor, better processor, its newer and better.
The D700 has pro body but the D610 is far from being a toy itself, many pro's use it as first or second body camera.
And its got video while the D700 doesn't if that's important at all to you.

thank good guy... for replied.. no.i dont do video.....i hate doing it..dont know why..i have a buddy that doing vidro only and hate videos..and usually when my crew want to shoot they usually clal me and if making video they call my friends.. so video doesnt care for me....

and how small is the d610 .. but it also a full frame pro camera... dont know why nikon make it small for

i was decidi g to sell my d5200 to a girl i know as she want a fun camera to shoot around...but now i dont know if i shohld or keep it as a spare camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back