D750 body only or kit

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by Nikon newbie, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Nikon newbie

Nikon newbie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey nikon D750 lovers, so looking to purchase and I'm not sure if I should buy the body only or kit with the lens .price difference with sale tags would be about $700 , the lens is 24-120 retail price is crazy 1500$ keep in mind I'm Canadian folks, I really don't know if I would use this, I have two prime lenses , and going to purchase a 70-200, thinking body only but I'd like your opinion to secure my thoughts !

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Tough call I suppose, but that is a hefty savings on the 24-120 VR lens. it's a lens that gets trash-talked by many people, yet the people who use it manage to make some good photos with it. YES, to a 70-200 lens for much work done on FX Nikon, for sure. The 24-120 has VR, and wide range of focal lengths, but there is also the new 24-85mm VR lens as an option. It's difficult to advise people on lenses like the 24-120...there's a lot of divided opinion about that lens, and also about that "kind of zoom"...

On photo forums there are a lot of people who say they favor prime lenses, or who totally loathe utility zooms, and yet...I see people who like the 24-120 and who make good photos with it because, a lot of the time, the best picture results from having the right lens on the camera RIGHT NOW!

The reason for a lens like a 24-120mm zoom is like this--it is the difference between seeing a shot, and setting the zoom ring to the right focal length and focusing and shooting in two seconds, or needing to futz around, remove a lens, then put on another "better lens", and missing the shot. it's the difference between carrying a 24, a 28, a 35, a 50, and an 85 and a 105mm lens...six different primes that weigh maybe eight pounds, as opposed to one zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally I'd advise get the kit. Worst case scenario and you are not delighted with the lens and you could probably sell it for the price you paid extra on the camera by getting a kit.

I won't try to sell you on this lens, but having read ok to great reviews on it I didn't expect much. 2 friends recently bought the d750 and 24-120 kits, both are delighted with the lens. One guy also uses a 300mm f2.8 vr monster, so his standards with gear is pretty high

4. cgw

cgw Been spending a lot of time on here!

Nikon Canada prices are set to increase April 1 to catch up with the weak loonie, so don't put a decision off for much longer. Check photoprice.ca but also drill down into dealers' sites(Aden, Vistek, Henry's). Don't be shy about price-matching, especially with BestBuy. Nikon Canada is offering deals on FX bodies and lenses that expires soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Dont like too much this 24-120mm even though for some its a good lens
    Being f4 I just find it limiting.
    I say save up a little more and get a 70-200mm 2.8 lens
    For about 700$ you can get a used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS or a little more a used Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A great example of a narrow angle of view tool (a 70-200, an all-telephoto zoom) as opposed to a lens that has wide, semi wide, normal, short telephoto and medium telephoto angles of view. from Nikon's Lens Simulator tool at Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lens Simulator

24mm>>80 degrees, 60 minutes
    28mm>>75 degrees 20 minutes
    35mm>> 63 degrees 20 minutes
    43mm>>53 degrees 20 minutes
    50mm>>46 degrees 40 minutes
    60mm>>39 degrees 40 minutes
    70mm>>34 degrees 20 minutes
    85mm>>28 degrees 30 minutes
    105mm>23 degrees 10 minutes
    120mm>20 degrees 20 minutes
    70-200mm f/4 lens specs:

135mm>18 degrees 10 minutes
    153mm>16 degrees 00 minutes
    180mm>13 degrees 40 minutes
    200mm>12 degrees 20 minutes

24-120mm zoom range is 60 degrees 40 minutes of angle

70-200mm zoom range is 22 degrees 00 minutes of angle

What lens to buy is determined by what kind of a tool you want to buy...an all-on-one, utility zoom with VR, or an all-telephoto zoom lens that is geared toward being used as part of a two-lens 24-70mm + 70-200mm kit, OR being used with four short prime lenses (24,28,35,50mm primes), plus the 70-200 zoom.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A lot would depend on what you shoot, of course, but if you don't think you'd need the lens then I'd probably save the money and go with just the camera body. Nothing against the lens itself of course, I've shot a few of these all around lenses and they have come a long way in image quality in just the past few years. But if it's something you don't see yourself using much, well not much point in buying it just so it will collect dust in your bag.

8. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you dont need it yourself check used prices and if its worthwhile to buy it new and sell it instantly on the used market, you could do that.