D750 vs D800

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for an FX camera and I would like to bypass the D600 series for other reasons. Have any of you owned one or both of the D750 or D800? The D800 used is now cheaper then the D750 used.

I am a portrait photographer with a slow shooting style. I shoot outdoors mostly and only occasionally in low light conditions. I might do studio work in the future again. Also I see myself possibly shooting an event like a wedding or a music concert. I quite like the idea of a big rugged camera. I don't crop my images very much. Sometimes. I use movie mode almost never.

Anyway, I'd be happy to know what you think. Thanks! Oh and the D800e is not available where I shop.

For portraiture, weddings and concerts the extra pixel resolution (7,360 x 4,912) the D800 has is desirable.
The D800 has a 1 stop faster max shutter speed (1/8000) and a faster flash sync speed (1/250 vs 1/200).

The D750 has a better top continuous shooting speed at full resolution at 6.5 fps.
The D750 has a very slightly better AF module, likely only ever noticeable when trying to AF in very low light without using the AF Assist light.
The D750 has better video options.

The D750 advantages don't add up to much for your intended usage.

D800 in the 3rd round. The D750 is sucker for a left hook.

I agree with KmH and Gryphon for your intended uses, tho if you could meet and use both candidates in advance that sometimes makes a difference in terms of the ergonomics, heft, etc...

I have both, shoot them side by side very weekend, and prefer the D800 over the D750 for several reasons. The D800 has better construction, more rugged, and can handle being in the field better. My D750 top mode button has already broken off just after a year in service. Surprisingly, I find that low light focus in the D800 is just as good as the D750. I like the flip screen and good high ISO noise on my D750 though. I shoot weddings primarily and find that the D800 is surprisingly good for what I do. You will need a lot of hard drive space if you're going with the D800. :D

How can I argue with everyone else especially since I have only experience with the D750 and not D800.
Never the less I would still argue you should seriously consider the D750 for weddings.
The AF on it goes to -3EV and for me this is probably one of the most important things about it.
Yes you can work with less but I rarely find it hunting when I use centre point, the D800 -2EV is good but not as good.
The AF on the D800 was always its weakest thing and only in the D810 it reached the expected level its users was expecting, well the D750 took the D810 AF and improved it slightly and voila you got a winner.
Again, huge deal ?
No
But for me its important.
1/8000 ?
Again for my weddings I never got even close to this speed
My D750 NEVER gave me any trouble, its work horse, I probably shot well over 100K and it still keep going like its new.
Another point is why would you want 36MP files when you really don't need this much for wedding, so much data to process.

For landscape and portrait the D800 is better, for weddings my recommendation is the D750
Just my 2c

Most reactions

Back