D80 Continuous vs. 400d Continuous

boclcown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
They are supposed to be almost exactly the same - their continuous shooting speed, that is. Though after spending some time at best buy with the d80 and 400d, the canon seemed much faster. Could there have been some sort of setting I missed?

one camera could have been on manual settings with the exposure set longer than the other. that way the camera will never reach it's full fps speed if the exposure is say 1/3 or 1/2 sec.

raw images? one may have been set to raw and took longer to process them.

buffer size? if the buffer is small then it will only allow a few frames before having to start write to the card. the camera will slow down while shooting and writing simultaneously.

image size? one camera set to higher quality than the other could also reduce the speed it could write to the card.

Having said all of the above, either camera should shoot at its specified frame rate for a few frames at least (unless the exposure was manually set too long)

if continuous shooting is a big deal to you, then the above points are worth considering and comparing.

I'm not familiar with either camera so can't recommend one over the other.
My 20D had 5fps and was awesome. one step off full quality and the camera would shoot until the card was full or the battery died.

On my 5D the rate is only 3fps but it's not something i use a lot so I don't really miss it too much.

Most reactions

Back