D80 Flash Issues... or not?

ChrisP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi - new to forum and have a newly acquired D80 (lots of P&S exp along with old AE-1). I'm ready to pull my hair out with the built-in flash for my camera. I've read the owner's manual several times, several other books on the D80, etc., and can't seem to consistently get flash to work or not. When in Auto mode and the viewfinder showing a speed higher than my default setting (right now at 1/60), the flash opens and works. When in M, A, or S modes, I attempt to get the Fill Flash to work and even after opening the flash, it doesn't fire - even if subject is definitely dark with lots of backlight. When in P (program mode), it will sometimes work, sometimes not. I can understand the other settings as they may require some level for it to work, but the odd thing is that even in Auto mode indoors, the camera will prefer to put a very slow shutter speed (even slower than 1 sec) rather than simply turn on the flash. Is this normal with a d-slr? Is anyone aware of a good tutorial or education base for the D80 flash? Would a speedlight (like the SB-600) work any differently?

Sorry for all the stupid q's. Regretfully I'm out of town not near my camera but I was working off memory for above. Thanks all!

Seems like you may have a problem with your flash. I have a D80 and in M, A or S modes the flash always fires when it's open.

Thanks - that's what I was afraid to hear. Think I'll spend an hour determining when exactly it's doing (or not doing) and call Nikon.

I am brand new (>10 days) to the D80 as well, however I have never used the Auto mode. I know in Auto the camera will pop up the flash if it deems neccessary. If you have read several other books, then you are far ahead of me. There are several settings for the flash, but most times I can get it to fire when I want it to.

I just got the SB-600 yesterday which only multiplies my confusion. However there was a thread started yesterday (I think) by AdamZx3 about the SB-600. What he said for my problem worked. This whole string of BS is to say, be patient, you have a hell of a camera in your hands. We'll both get there in the end. I suggest doing some searches in the forums, chances are you not the first and you will find some help.

When the flash is popped up it will limit the MINIMUM shutter to 1/60 when the flash is active. If the light is still more than 1/60 it will raise the shutter so as to not expose the picture, I have no idea if the flash will fire anyway in this case I can only assume it should in A S or M mode (A being Aperture not Auto). Have you made any changes to your custom settings menu options?

When the flash is popped up it will limit the MINIMUM shutter to 1/60 when the flash is active. If the light is still more than 1/60 it will raise the shutter so as to not expose the picture, I have no idea if the flash will fire anyway in this case I can only assume it should in A S or M mode (A being Aperture not Auto). Have you made any changes to your custom settings menu options?

Thanks for the clarification! I have played with my settings menu, but typically have gone per the owner guides. I've been trying to avoid Auto (as it really does very little to improve my knowledge) and have been using mostly P followed by A, then S. Flash does work - it just seems like it's very inconsistent even after I open the flash and choose the option for the flash. I'll have to spend some time this weekend trying to understand what's going on.

This whole string of BS is to say, be patient, you have a hell of a camera in your hands. We'll both get there in the end. I suggest doing some searches in the forums, chances are you not the first and you will find some help.

Thanks!:wink: I'm really looking forward to learning this camera well!

If it's being inconsistent maybe you are running out of juice or fooling your sensor. The problem with flashes are the large variety of uses they get. Put a man in the room and the entire picture would be much brighter than someone outside. Now if the metre were basic centre weighted then one of these two would expose incorrectly. You need to learn how the camera works with flash to get it to work accurately

A subject in the middle of the frame with a black background may produce a wildly different result than a subject to either side with everything else held the same. The difficult part is finding what gives the accurate reading and if your camera has the feature lock the flash setting in before you recompose.

Also note that flash is dependant on aperture. So if you are shooting at f/16 your flash may conk out trying to take the picture. Again I am not quite sure how the D80 displays this, but the D200 flashes the flash exposure compensation indicator when the flash fires at full power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back