D80 Lens advice needed

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought my new D80 and am selling my D40X. In order to sell the 40 I have to include my 18-55 lens to seal the deal. Not a big loss. So Now I'm going to need a decent all around lens for the D80. Any suggestions? (under $500 for sure, under $300 would be better). Also need suggestions on a good macro lens, same price range. Thanks a bunch.
Tom

I just bought my new D80 and am selling my D40X. In order to sell the 40 I have to include my 18-55 lens to seal the deal. Not a big loss. So Now I'm going to need a decent all around lens for the D80. Any suggestions? (under $500 for sure, under $300 would be better). Also need suggestions on a good macro lens, same price range. Thanks a bunch.
Tom

The sigma 105mm macro is very nice.

Do you have the 50mm 1.8? That's a very nice lens thats cheap.

I've got the 18-135mm dx that came with the d80. I'm in the process of replacing that now. There isn't a whole lot made by nikon in the price range thats decent.

Check out this website to see shots made by the lenses that interest you.

I have the nikon 18-70 and can say its excellent! I got it on ebay for 130 and its in perfect condition. You might want to check there.

Another vote for the 18-70, Im selling my d50 with the 18-55 and am in the same boat needing a replacement for the wide.

I'm either getting the 18-70 or the sigma 10-20 :)

I warmly recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I recently got it for my D80, and it's a really good lens for the money. More expensive then the Nikkor 18-70mm, but sharper and faster.

As for macro, I have played with several lenses, but I'm still waiting for my finances to allow me to purchase one. Most lenses seem to give similar results, which means you can't really make a big mistake. In the ~100mm range there are models from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina (and Nikkor, but not for that money). They differ only slightly in price, and the image quality seems mostly the same (the Tokina has some marginal CA issues, no problem if you're shooting RAW). Build quality differs in an Tokina > Sigma > Tamron order. Also, in that price category, there is the Nikkor 60mm Micro. I suggest you go somewhere where you can put these lenses on your D80, and shoot some test shots. After taking some test shots with each, I tend towards the Tokina model.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back