D80 or D90?

mikerev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a DSLR. I've been shooting on a borrowed D50 for some time now, and i think i want to stick with nikon. Am i better off going for the D80 and spending the savings on lenses, or getting the D90 and having less money for lenses?

D80- 600 euros
D90- 999 euros

Both are body only

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Unless you really need the latest body, (which will be out dated in six months anyway) or feel the need to record movies on your SLR, then go with the D80. Other than the movie recording capability, I'm not aware of any improvements to it that justify that kind of increase in price. The body is just a recording medium, glass is what counts. Spend the money on lenses!

I'm not aware of any improvements to it that justify that kind of increase in price.
Perhaps you're unaware of the D90's epic high ISO performance. The D90 looks better at ISO 6400 than the D80 does at ISO 1600. The D80 also has the same flaky metering as the D40. I would only get the D80 if I found it for very cheap.

Sure, the D90 has some gimmicky features like live view and video recording (whoopdeedo), which is why I'm staying away from it and just using my D40 (which is great) until Nikon comes out with a replacement using the same or better sensor as the D90.

Agree. I can't imagine spending that extra money on the D90. If you want to record movies, get a camcorder.
D80 and glass.

I bought the D90. No regrets for buying the D90. Only regret I have is buying the kit lens, but anyways. I haven't used the moving feature tbh. There's no autofocus on it.

I don't use Live View often. I only use it if I can't see the sharpness in the viewfinder. With the Live View, I can use the LCD to make sure I'm focusing properly on my target.

Oh. That's also the reason why I got the D90. Better ISO with D90(apparently)

Perhaps you're unaware of the D90's epic high ISO performance. The D90 looks better at ISO 6400 than the D80 does at ISO 1600.
Granted high ISO performance in the D90 is vastly improved, BUT is that worth the equivalent of $600? I would submit that for the average person it isn't. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number shoots I've done in the last two years where I've set my ISO above 400.

The D80 also has the same flaky metering as the D40.
I wasn't aware of any metering issues with either the D40, or the D80. Do you have more info on this?

I wasn't aware of any metering issues with either the D40, or the D80. Do you have more info on this?
The metering on these cameras overexposes quite a bit to get details in the shadows and, as a result, blows all the highlights. It's usually as simple as dialing in -2/3 of exposure compensation, sometimes more. The main problem is that it doesn't overexpose consistently.

I chose the D80. I was caught up in the hype of the D90, but i sure am glad i purchased the 80. I purchased mine used locally. I am new to the SLR world so i didnt feen the D90 was really needed for my novice skills. Since i saved money with the used puchase i was able to buy a 55-200mm & 50mm 1.8. Im totally happy tring to improve my skillz so when im ready i can pull the trigger on something D300 or better....

i was in the same position and chose the d80. The difference in price for what you're getting (especially in the beginning stages of photography) is negligible. As someone mentioned before, the video option is nice, but useless in most situations.

After reading more reviews of the d90, it just didnt make sense to me to spend the extra money for not that much of a difference. Im sure there will be tons of ppl who come in and say otherwise, but please remember, this is a beginner and the d80 is plenty camera for him to grow into.

With that being said, do what you feel what makes most sense for your situation.

I'm in a similar boat as the OP, but I'm honestly leaning towards the D90. Due to it's an overall better camera and the overexposure of the D80 (granted the camera is in Auto mode.) I've seen the overexposure of the D40/D80 sensor in Auto mode, and it's pretty rough on the photos. I wanted something that my friends and family can use and still take decent photos in Auto mode.

Granted high ISO performance in the D90 is vastly improved, BUT is that worth the equivalent of $600?

For me it would be. I shoot mostly film these days, but I usually use 400 or 800 iso. The d90/d300/d700's low light capabilities are just awesome. It really depends on what each individual person likes to shoot. If they're shooting bright daylight all the time, or with flash, then sure, d80 will be fine, but do some night/indoor shots without flash and the d80's limitations will show.

Most reactions

Back