D80 owners question

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was reading Ken Rockwells pages on the d80. He mentioned shooting with his exposure compensation always set to -.7 Do any of you guys do this? It seems pretty extreme.

That's because Ken Rockwell is a ****er and aside from his article on Colour Spaces his entire site is full of rubbish, poor advice, and often downright misinformation.

You would do very well to start reading something else, there are plenty of other good sites on the net which carry real equipment reviews not just a blind opinion of a guy who at worst has never used the equipment, and sites that have proper informative photography guides too. e.g. the luminouslandscape

There are occasions where all metres over expose and the D80 is no exception, but to run around with your metre at -.7 permanently is just stupid.

That's because Ken Rockwell is a ****er and aside from his article on Colour Spaces his entire site is full of rubbish, poor advice, and often downright misinformation.

You would do very well to start reading something else, there are plenty of other good sites on the net which carry real equipment reviews not just a blind opinion of a guy who at worst has never used the equipment, and sites that have proper informative photography guides too. e.g. the luminouslandscape

There are occasions where all metres over expose and the D80 is no exception, but to run around with your metre at -.7 permanently is just stupid.

All that being said and I don't think I have ever visited Ken Rockwell's site I do run both my D70 and D80 at -7 about 50% of the time, maybe more, especially in bright sunlight.

especially in bright sunlight.

And that is exactly such an occasion if you have shade in the background. But that's one type of case compared to any cloudy day, or a day at the beach, or night shots where the inbuilt metre does a great job of exposing shots.

It's case of knowing what the camera will do given a certain situation, and permanently setting -.7EV is not the solution.

Rockwell was one of the first websites I hit after getting my D80. At that moment in time I thought I had hit the motherload. You'll soon discover that much more pertinent information is found elsewhere. Can you say s-e-l-l-o-u-t?

I usually try to grab a first shot and check my histogram. I think you'll find it holds much more valuable information than ken rockwell.

I know it's common practice, but assuming that you need to have your meter at -.7 EV all of the time seems like a good way lose a lot of shots. Even if they look fine on your LCD, the histogram is the only thing that can give you proper information on exposure (and certainly not ken rockwell).

Most reactions

Back