D80 shooting slow??!?

joelhead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I have had my D80 for about 6 months or so and it has about 12000 shots on it and it seems as if it shoots pretty darn slow, my D40 shoots faster! I dont use HC memory cards, could that be an issue? Thnks for the help.

Your D80 has 40% more MP than the D40.

Are you shooting in the same format in both cameras? If you shoot RAW in the D80 and JPEG in the D40 that's a huge difference in file sizes.

If you shoot RAW in both camera's the D40 only does Compressed RAW, not the full RAW available in the D80.

If you use the same non-HC SD cards in both cameras then no, that's not it.

ok i never knew about the RAW isssue with the D40, I do shoot in RAW in both cameras, I knew the increase in Megapixels was an issue, any way to speed things up at all?

buy a really good, fast SD card like the Lexar professional 133x card or a SanDisk Ultra III. That will speed things up.

Are both D80 and D40 cameras have built-in buffer?

The d80 should be a lot faster than a d40. The increae in MP will not effect it at all. Do a hard reset in the camera and that might get the gitches out. Worked for me.

+1 for reset and faster card.

Make sure in the Shooting Menu you have Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned off. Having it turned on will limit the D80 to about 1 shot per second instead of its normal three per second.

Most reactions

Back