D80 vs D200

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright guys, I'm in the market for a new camera body and need it immediately. I have $450 to spend. I've narrowed it down to either a D80, or a D200. Both are available locally.

My friend is selling a D80 for $400, and there is a D200 on craigslist for $450.

I know your all going to tell me to get a D90, but I need a camera NOW, and don't have the money for one. My plan is to get a camera now, then save up for a D7000 over the next few months, and keep the D80/D200 as a backup.

I've already got an alright lens and flash collection, so I'm definitely sticking with Nikon.

Go for the D200. it's way faster. The body is better (heavier, more buttons, etc)
This is why the D200 is considered professional and the D80 as a amateurhouse.

Which one has the least shutter actuations? If you are going to get a D7000 later then you will want to get the D80 since it uses same SD cards. The D200 uses the faster CF cards. This will save you from having to buy them all over again later.

the d200 is a great camera. Sure, its not the newest, but i absolutely love mine. I'm at about 35000 actuations and its still running like a champ.

I have loved my d200 and to me its only weakness is the ISO performance & battery life. its fine for what it is but thats the only thing i haven't liked with all these new cameras coming out with much better ISO performance.

but My D200 (which is for sale) is awesome for everything in good lighting.

If you interested in seeing some real world pics from a d200 just used by a hobby photographer click the link in my sig, all the pics on that page are with the d200 and basic lenses, some pics are with my S95 point and shoot but mostly the d200

if you interested in buying my d200 let me know. I have the nikon grip and extra batteries (which you will need)

Awesome guys. I wanna go for the D200, but then I'd have to invest in CF cards. I've already got a huge pile (like 100gb total) of sd cards. I really wanna go for the D200, but I guess it's gonna be a D80 then...

The other thought supporting this is that the D80 is much closer to the size and layout of the 7000 so it will be an easier transfer. I won't find myself missing the bigger body of the D200 after I upgrade.

you will like the pro feel of the d200 better, i myself was considering the d7000 and still may get one, it just feels so wimpy in the hands.

you will like the pro feel of the d200 better, i myself was considering the d7000 and still may get one, it just feels so wimpy in the hands.

Thats why I don't wanna get used to a D200 before the 7000. I've never touched anything better than a D90 (well.. i played with a 300s in the store, but never actually used it).

I'd like to get the 200, then get a 300s down the road, but I just can't justify buying something other than the 7000 later on... it's performance is just too good. And the D300s replacement is going to cost more than I can spend.

Thats why I don't wanna get used to a D200 before the 7000. I've never touched anything better than a D90 (well.. i played with a 300s in the store, but never actually used it).

I'd like to get the 200, then get a 300s down the road, but I just can't justify buying something other than the 7000 later on... it's performance is just too good. And the D300s replacement is going to cost more than I can spend.

I see no reason getting rid of a d200 for a d300, the camera is not that much better, its battery life and ISO are a tad better and the LCD is better but really the only think i like about my buddies d300 over my d200 is being able to shoot 8fps with a battery grip. I would get the d200 and save up for glass, and then later down the road, if you still want to get a better camera go for a d700 instead of taking steps through all of nikons camera bodies

"Awesome guys. I wanna go for the D200, but then I'd have to invest in CF cards. I've already got a huge pile (like 100gb total) of sd cards. I really wanna go for the D200, but I guess it's gonna be a D80 then..."

Not really just sell off some of the SD for CF on craigslist. Save a couple for down the road.

I have owned both the D80 and the D200. The D80 is a great camera but loved the feel and beefier D200 and know in the used department would more likely have a longer lasting D200 then the D80. Also the D200 has a beefier AF motor for driving AF and AF-D lenses.

I Know It's Ken Rockwell but a good comparison.

Disadvantages well my biggy is battery. So had 3 of them.
Iso well generally don't like to go above 400 iso. 800 occasionally and above if no other choice.
Tho still can get great images even at 1250.

SoCC no post NR

Green 1250 Socc 1 of 2 by orb9220, on Flickr

Lightroom NR applied.

Green 1250 Post 2 of 2 by orb9220, on Flickr

All comes down to nailing exposure and lenses used.
Good luck as both the D80 and D200 are still very capable camera's.

Last edited:
$450 is an okay deal for a D200, $400 is too much for a D80--I wouldn't pay more then $350.

The D200 and D80 have near identical image quality--with the d200 being a tiny bit better at high-iso.

The D200's metal construction, weather sealing, and metering compatibility with old non-cpu lenses would be why I'd choose it over a d80. The D200 feels like a pro-camera in your hands, the d80 doesn't.

I really like the non-cpu lens compatibility, there are so many awesome, inexpensive AIS lenses out there!

The only downside of the d200 is battery life, it's the poorest of all the nikon dslrs--you have to carry an extra battery with you everywhere.

Most reactions

Back