D800 = 36MP, D900 = 54MP?

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the D800 is 36 megapixels at the same pixel density of D7000. So D900 might actually have the same pixel density as the 24 megapixel Sony sensor. Imagine a 54 megapixels sensor!

It won't happen unless they have an incredible breakthrough in noise-handling technology, or enlarge their sensor size (creating a whole new line of cameras AND lenses). So, it won't happen any time in the foreseeable future.

Mark

It won't happen unless they have an incredible breakthrough in noise-handling technology, or enlarge their sensor size (creating a whole new line of cameras AND lenses). So, it won't happen any time in the foreseeable future.

Mark

Maybe 4 years later, when D900 is announced, the technology would be much better. The NEX 7 and NEX 5N actually have quite similar performance but NEX 7 has the advantage of more resolution, so a 54 megapixels full frame camera isn't all that bad IMO, except the frame per second and file size. :D *imagine the file size of a 14 bit 54 megapixels RAW*

I'm having trouble with a 14 bit 36MP RAW only fitting 20 per 8 gig card! It's INSANE! But, I still can't see it happening this, or next round of FX. Perhaps the round after that. MAYBE. But there has to be a market for it. And I don't think anyone looking at MF will come DOWN to DSLR, since MF would have grown and evolved as well.

Mark

I'm having trouble with a 14 bit 36MP RAW only fitting 20 per 8 gig card! It's INSANE!

This doesn't compute? I can get ~300 18mp raw files on an 8gb card. So, wouldn't you fit 150 or something at 36mp?

I'm having trouble with a 14 bit 36MP RAW only fitting 20 per 8 gig card! It's INSANE!

This doesn't compute? I can get ~300 18mp raw files on an 8gb card. So, wouldn't you fit 150 or something at 36mp?

Though it is true that Canon has better file compression technology, Nikon is by no way 10 times worse.

Isn't there some rumour about the A99 that has some ridiculous sensor like that?

Isn't there some rumour about the A99 that has some ridiculous sensor like that?

The Real Megapixel MythIt is not really ridiculous in my opinion. The noise performance won't be much different, and the NEX 7 isn't all that bad either. If it were designed by Nikon, I think it'll be much better. Remember the 24MP Sony sensor? The sensor in Sony was much worse compared to Nikon even that they're about the same sensor. One thing that will be really crazy would be the file size and frames per second. The file size would be 80 megabytes at 54 megapixels, and the frames per second would be ridiculously slow at 2.5 frames per second. If they were processed with Topaz products, even a 16 gig RAM wouldn't be sufficient.

Most reactions

Back