D800 + 70-200 VR I vs VR II

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own a 70-200 VRI and it's just been an amazing lens on my D7000. However, around Christmas I'm going to upgrade to a D800. I keep hearing that the VRII is a lot sharper around the edges and it will show significantly on a D800 due to the amount of detail that it is capable of.

I do know that the D800 shows a lot of flaws in older, lower end lenses and I'm wondering if anyone is shooting a 70-200 VRI on a D800 and feel that the results are good (as in sharpness, focus speed, vignetting, etc).

I would really rather spend the difference in money on more light stands/soft boxes and 1-2 small strobes if the upgrade isn't an amazingly huge difference.

I suggest you wait until January 5 or 6 and then try your VR1 on your new D800. If you don't like the results then you have your answer.

I am not quite in the same league as you but I went from DX (D200) to FX (D700) and decided to keep my 70-200 VR1. Vignetting - a little bit but vignette control of the camera has it under control. Soft in the corners, a bit if I go pixel peeping, but truthfully, my main subjects are seldom in the corners. They say VR2 adds 1 stop over VR2, not really, my lens is still 2.8, won't keep fidgeting subjects stay still. Besides, handholding at 1/15 sec at 200 mm (with proper holding technique) is still pretty amazing. Anyway, for me it made no sense to take a thousand dollar hit just to have the newer version. That money got me some other neat toys instead.

I suggest you wait until January 5 or 6 and then try your VR1 on your new D800. If you don't like the results then you have your answer.

I am not quite in the same league as you but I went from DX (D200) to FX (D700) and decided to keep my 70-200 VR1. Vignetting - a little bit but vignette control of the camera has it under control. Soft in the corners, a bit if I go pixel peeping, but truthfully, my main subjects are seldom in the corners. They say VR2 adds 1 stop over VR2, not really, my lens is still 2.8, won't keep fidgeting subjects stay still. Besides, handholding at 1/15 sec at 200 mm (with proper holding technique) is still pretty amazing. Anyway, for me it made no sense to take a thousand dollar hit just to have the newer version. That money got me some other neat toys instead.

+1

I agree with Patrice and 2Wheel, except... it's really about budget.

The VR2 is way more expensive than the VR1, but also a much better lens. The VR1 is no slouch, but the VR2 is notably better in almost every way, up to and including the fact that the little foot is removable. :)

If you have the money to spend and not worry about it, just go VR2. If you don't, then certainly evaluate when the camera comes in.

BTW, I have D300 and D800. I have run the 80-200 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VR1 and VR2 all on the D300 and eventually decided to go with the 70-200 2.8 VR2 which I use on the D800 quite a bit.

Most reactions

Back