D800 Announced!

Wait... They're taking the low pass filter out, aka removing a component of the camera, and that causes the price to jump up $300 when you are getting less? How does that work? Lol

Wait... They're taking the low pass filter out, aka removing a component of the camera, and that causes the price to jump up $300 when you are getting less? How does that work? Lol

Same reason a fisheye costs 5 times as much as a nifty fifty..... lower demand.

I wonder what the ISO performance is. I wonder if it could actually be worse than the D700.

I'm non-plussed. The D4 priced itself out of my reach, and the 36mp of this cubical egg makes me puke.

I'm non-plussed. The D4 priced itself out of my reach, and the 36mp of this cubical egg makes me puke.

Well same sensor as D4 and they couldn't let it perform as well. Had to throw an extra handful of pixels at it?

I wonder what the ISO performance is. I wonder if it could actually be worse than the D700.
If i read correctly, yes. The D800 will offer better cropability at the cost of ISO performance. Smart to not over shadow the D4 this time.D800 is aimed at the consumer more than the prosumer..

Looks like a used D3 or another D700 is in my near future ;)

That's the path I'm taking!

Unfortunatly, I don't see too many people rushing to trade in their D700 for this 36MP, 4fps beast so the price probably won't drop as much as I was hoping.

I'm not too worried though, by the time I accumulate the quality glass I wanna get before I upgrade to FX the D4S will probably be in the bargain been. :lol:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I don't think it's half bad. If the D800's ISO capability is the same as the D700, honestly I am happy with it. The D700 is a very capable camera, the D800 adds video and shear size. Think about it, at DX the D800 still captures 15+mega pixel, far larger than the D700's 12mp at FX. So basically, you can use DX lens on D800 and still get larger image than D700 at FX. That opens up many opportunities!

Wondering if they will ever come out with a true D700 replacement in the future. I highly doubt so though.

Also, being just slightly lighter than the D700, that I am quite disappointed.

Looks like a used D3 or another D700 is in my near future ;)

That's the path I'm taking!

Unfortunatly, I don't see too many people rushing to trade in their D700 for this 36MP, 4fps beast so the price probably won't drop as much as I was hoping.

I'm not too worried though, by the time I accumulate the quality glass I wanna get before I upgrade to FX the D4S will probably be in the bargain been. :lol:

Yeah, I was kinda hoping there's be a glut of D3/D700s.... one of those, 'you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a bargain' type of thing.

I wonder how the D800 would perform as a lower MP setting, say the Medium (20mp) level. If it could record NEFs at that level instead of that stupid 36 mp, I might be on-board.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I don't think it's half bad. If the D800's ISO capability is the same as the D700, honestly I am happy with it. The D700 is a very capable camera, the D800 adds video and shear size. Think about it, at DX the D800 still captures 15+mega pixel, far larger than the D700's 12mp at FX. So basically, you can use DX lens on D800 and still get larger image than D700 at FX. That opens up many opportunities!

Wondering if they will ever come out with a true D700 replacement in the future. I highly doubt so though.

Also, being just slightly lighter than the D700, that I am quite disappointed.

I'm confused about the megapixels being a "big deal", can you ellaborate and help me understand. The D7000 captures more than this at DX anyway?

Most reactions

Back