D800 continued problems. Going to return

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all -- I've been experiencing so many problems with the D800, all of which are focus related. Just about *every* lens I have back-focuses, and even when I take the time to carefully calibrate, the image quality of the D800 is really not much better than the D5100 (when in DX crop mode). Sure, the D800 gives me lots of options and controls that I sorely need, but if it can't produce superior image quality at several times the cost of the frick'n D5100, what's the point? This is not user error - I've been working at this extraordinarily carefully for weeks. I've used test charts, systematic AF-Fine tune changes, over 6 different lenses at a variety of focusing distances and focal length and ISO settings. Here's just one example. This is a 100% crop of admittedly crappy lens (35mm 1.8G), but just look at how much better the D5100 is at 1.8. (D5100 on left ; D800 on right)

7478674072_7b0be43224_b.jpg

Ok Fine, it back focuses. So suppose I relent to Nikon's screw-up and take the time to carefully calibrate each and every lens I have. Well, even when I've done this, The D800 really does not look better than the D5100. Even at Highish ISOs, the difference is NOT that great. here's the same comparison at f/5.6. (again, D5100 on left, D800 on right)

7478740334_a5a95c5fb5_b.jpg

Lenses I have tried that produce these problems:
35mm 1.8G
50mm 1.8G
20-35 2.8D at 20mm vs 18-55 kit lens at 20 mm (yea -- the kit lens is far superior to the older 'professional' D lens even after calibration)

Not only this, but even after Fine-tuning, using any Nikon speedlight with AF-Assist once again screws up the autofocus. This is all pretty disgusting, and I never thought I'd say this, but I would consider switching to Canon over this. I have no viable upgrade path from the D5100 at this point (I want video + full frame + an AF system that you know...works.).

D7000 FTW. thats what I want to get anyway. only 39 point autofocus compared to 51 but...still a nice upgrade to my D90.

odd... I don't have that issue with my D800! But I don't own any kit lenses either. And I haven't tried DX crop mode.. why have all that glorious resolution, and try and turn the camera into a DX? My "Cheapest" lens is the Nikon 28-300... and it does very well on the D800. Even my "infamous" Sigma 50mm 1.4 does very well ( I have been to lazy to even test calibration... although I probably should! But images are crystal sharp!)

What focus mode are you using in these shots?

Last edited:
So you are upset because the D800 in crop mode is not appreciably better than the d5100 with the same lens? I would have e surprised if it was sense they are the same pixel density.

Return D800, invest $3k in non-DX lenses.

I personally think you made the wrong move switching to a 36mp body with your current lens lineup. With half of your lenses, it's a glorified crop frame body. If you get some good glass, and maybe a D90/D7k, you'll notice a big difference.

odd... I don't have that issue with my D800! But I don't own any kit lenses either. And I haven't tried DX crop mode.. why have all that glorious resolution, and try and turn the camera into a DX? My "Cheapest" lens is the Nikon 28-300... and it does very well on the D800. Even my "infoamous" Sigma 50mm 1.4 does very well ( I have been to lazy to even test calibration... although I probably should! But images are crystal sharp!)

What focus mode are you using in these shots?

I only put it in to DX-Crop mode to make a fair comparison with the D5100. Obviously keeping it in Fx-mode wouldn't allow me to evaluate the performance while holding lens constant.

So you are upset because the D800 in crop mode is not appreciably better than the d5100 with the same lens? I would have e surprised if it was sense they are the same pixel density.

Well actually, only 2 of those lenses are DX-Only, but in fact I actually have several FX-lenses I didn't mention (including the glorious 85 1.4D), but since I can't test those on a D5100, it was kinda pointless.

Heitz said:
Well actually, only 2 of those lenses are DX-Only, but in fact I actually have several FX-lenses I didn't mention (including the glorious 85 1.4D), but since I can't test those on a D5100, it was kinda pointless.

Try it in fx mode.
See how you like it

I only put it in to DX-Crop mode to make a fair comparison with the D5100. Obviously keeping it in Fx-mode wouldn't allow me to evaluate the performance while holding lens constant.
I agree with Mach0. Don't try and compare it to a 5100, it isn't one. The whole point to getting a D800 was, presumably, to improve over a D5100 so use it to it's best capabilities and then compare them that way. If you want similar framing a 100% crop on the D5100 and a 225% crop on the D800 should be comparable, but I wouldn't even do that. Take the ENTIRE frame with each and reduce it to, say 1024 x 678 or something like that and compare them that way. You are trying to compare apples to oranges by using DX mode on the 800 and that isn't fair. The whole frame is what is important so use that D800 to it's full capabilities and stop trying to cripple it to match a less-capable body.

Just a point - if its constant miss-focusing chances are it might just be manufacture tolerances not an inherent camera/lens fault. It might just need a minor recalibration to correct the issues you are experiencing with your lenses. Also make sure you're reading 100% crops correctly; different MP values will mean that cameras with a high MP rating will appear softer than those with a lower MP when compared at 100% - this is because the more MP you have the more pixels there are; thus the image at 100% is far more enlarged.

Overread said:
Just a point - if its constant miss-focusing chances are it might just be manufacture tolerances not an inherent camera/lens fault. It might just need a minor recalibration to correct the issues you are experiencing with your lenses. Also make sure you're reading 100% crops correctly; different MP values will mean that cameras with a high MP rating will appear softer than those with a lower MP when compared at 100% - this is because the more MP you have the more pixels there are; thus the image at 100% is far more enlarged.

X2. Also, somewhere, I remember reading that the d800 owner needs to have good camera handling skills. Not saying you don't but ANY mistake will show at such a high resolution camera.

Last edited:
Overread said:

X2. Also, somewhere, I remember reading that the d800 owner needs to have good camera handling skills. Not saying you don't buy ANY mistake will show at such a high resolution camera.

aaaaaaaand this is EXACTLY why its the D7000 for me :mrgreen:

Like some of the others said, I think you're sort of doing a weird thing... you're trying to compare the two cameras by deliberately hobbling the crap out of the better one, and then comparing it. That's just odd.

I mean... a 1920 Ford Model T beats the crap out of a 2012 Porsche 911 if you just remove three of the wheels from the 911, right? :)

All that said, the D800 is also 36 MP... you need to be running very good glass on that thing or you're going to have some grumpy results. Putting a kit lens on it is just asking for trouble.

I've run about 1200 pictures through my D800 and the focus is a little grumpy... I think Nikon just needs to update the firmware, and I'm sure we'll see some changes from them sometime soon. If you can be a bit patient, I'd say stick with it. (that's assuming those other lenses you have are decent quality FF lenses... I don't really know... if you have no good glass, then yeah... go buy a D7000 or spend the money on some better glass and come back to the big camera when you're better setup)

Also you could consider waiting to see what this D600 is going to be, but that's a ways off.

Ok ok you are all right. I made a very rookie mistake. When I compare the d800 in fx with a 50mm and the d5100 with a 35mm (a fairer comparison) the d800 slams it. I'm embarrassed for the rant now.

Ok ok you are all right. I made a very rookie mistake. When I compare the d800 in fx with a 50mm and the d5100 with a 35mm (a fairer comparison) the d800 slams it. I'm embarrassed for the rant now.

Much better to find out here that you made a mistake, then to return a perfectly good D800. =)

Most reactions

Back