D800 for action?

When you're talking about shooting something like air shows that would likely require some long glass... why not shoot a crop body? That grip on the D800 that will get you the 6FPS is an extra $500 and I think the 6FPS is only in DX mode anyway.

^^^correct according to everything I read too, crop mode to cut that nasty 36 number back!

While D800 has the highest resolution, sports and photojournalists might still prefer Nikon D700 because it can shoot fast action photography with fast continous shooting speed. (D700 can shoot up to 8 fps with battery grip attached while D800 only can shoot 4fps at full resolution and max. 6fps in cropped resolution with battery grip.

source: http://www.radiantlite.com/2012/02/nikon-d800-small-in-size-huge-in-resolution.html

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
mjhoward said:
When you're talking about shooting something like air shows that would likely require some long glass... why not shoot a crop body? That grip on the D800 that will get you the 6FPS is an extra $500 and the 6FPS is only in DX mode anyway.

The grip may be an upgrade down the road after a few months of testing. I'm still trying to decide on some long glass. I wish NIKON had something comparable to canons 100-400mm L, so far the sigma 120-400 has caught my eye.

mjhoward said:
When you're talking about shooting something like air shows that would likely require some long glass... why not shoot a crop body? That grip on the D800 that will get you the 6FPS is an extra $500 and the 6FPS is only in DX mode anyway.

The grip may be an upgrade down the road after a few months of testing. I'm still trying to decide on some long glass. I wish NIKON had something comparable to canons 100-400mm L, so far the sigma 120-400 has caught my eye.

I have the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200, but if i need 400 anytime soon I favor this one over the selections you mentioned: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens 2187 B&H Photo

It will have a constant aperture instead of the kit styles with their variable, plus its sharpness can't be argued with for a long zoom

2WheelPhoto said:
I have the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200, but if i need 400 anytime soon I favor this one over the selections you mentioned: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens 2187 B&H Photo

It will have a constant aperture instead of the kit styles with their variable, plus its sharpness can't be argued with for a long zoom

Ive looked at that one but just a tad out of my price range. Might have to rent it sometime though.

IMO, the 100-400L is not a great lens. It is relatively soft and the push-pull design is quite awkward.

You could also take a look at the Sigma 150-500.

Why not get the d3s? You keep mentioning cropping pictures. Unless you taking a picture of a beach and want to end up with a grain of sand. I wouldnt worry about the crop issue.

Why not get the d3s? You keep mentioning cropping pictures. Unless you taking a picture of a beach and want to end up with a grain of sand. I wouldnt worry about the crop issue.

Then I would just get the D700 with battery grip for half the price. I'm interested in the HD video in the D800, also cropping airshow photos where I might not have the reach of a long lens and maintaining resolution. BTW how are the Nikon 1.7 and 2.0 teleconverters?

I still don't understand why the D7K isn't an option for you. It has the HD video, the crop factor and the resolution and you'll be able to get a longer lens with the $2000-2500 (w/grip) you'll save over the D800 rather than getting a teleconverter and making an otherwise nice lens look like chit.

mjhoward said:
I still don't understand why the D7K isn't an option for you. It has the HD video, the crop factor and the resolution and you'll be able to get a longer lens with the $2000-2500 (w/grip) you'll save over the D800 rather than getting a teleconverter and making an otherwise nice lens look like chit.

I want full frame for land/cityscapes, portraits and nature shots which is more important than "extra reach" from crop sensor. I'd rather have a 300mm full frame shot than a crop sensor at 200mm. I'm thinking of the d700 with grip but the wife wants video.

Most reactions

Back