D800 & IR photography?

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Want to get a filter to try out IR photography with my D800. I usually buy B+W, but in my research I've found numerous suggestions for the Hoya R-72 720 nm filter. Anyone have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I used a Hoya a few years back and it worked great. Cokin also makes one that is more affordable but it also mean buying the holder.
I bought an old Panasonic L1 and sent it to Spencer's for a conversion. In the long run if you are going to do a lot of it then that's the way to go. No tripod and I can use the viewfinder.
If you get a conversion there are several choices of types of filter. If you get a color IR filter then you can really make it look anyway you want in post.

I have the B+W 092 and 093 IR filters. I haven't had any issues with them - the same B+W quality you'd expect...

The 092 filter allows some visible light in, but the 093 blocks all visible light.

Want to get a filter to try out IR photography with my D800. I usually buy B+W, but in my research I've found numerous suggestions for the Hoya R-72 720 nm filter. Anyone have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

One suggestion. Make sure the lens that you are using is capable of capturing IR images without creating a center "hotspot". If you Google it, there is a website that lists lenses with known issues and those that have no issues. Lenses I own were not listed, so before I spent $$$ on high quality filters, I purchased a few cheapos to test. Glad I did because the two lenses that I planned on using did create the center hotspot. However, I found that the cheap IR filters did do a really nice job on the lenses that were capable. I think the brands were A & R and Neewer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back