D800 or D4 for HDR?

rlcpamukale57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know it's just a theoretical question until they get into our hands. But which camera do you think will do better post processing HDR, the D800 or D4? (and I'm not interested in in-camera HDR)
Thanks in advance...

Since opinions are like rectums, everyone has one. In this case I will place my rectum on the line and say that the D4 will give the best results. How about an opinion on whether Im right or wrong? You each have a 50-50 chance of being right. Now are we any closer to the facts?

Silly question.

Well I'd have to guess that the D4's smaller file might make editing a little quicker and less demanding on the hardware....but who buys a D4 or a D800 just on it's HDR post editing ease?

The question wasn't clear on my part.
I meant the ease of the settings, options, etc., to get the images that you will want to take into post processing. I haven't heard much on how similar or different they are with that in mind.

It's probably safe to assume that the control layout of the D4 will be similar to the D3s and that of the D800 to the D700, however, as mentioned, it's rather speculative at this point.

I am getting the D800E, and I look forward to seeing how it does with HDR. I have a theory that the D800E is going to be great for HDR. My theory is this:

HDR is known to be soft and its possible that a big part of the softness is because HDR really brings out the flaws of an image. Since almost all digital cameras come with a AA filter that creates a softening effect to eliminate moire, HDR software really picks up this softness and magnifies it. I think with the new D800E which does not have this AA filter we might be able to get sharper HDR images straight out of the HDR software

my 2 cents

A couple more features that I know the D800 has but I am not sure if the D4 has

The D800/E has a dedicated button for bracketing. The D800/E has in camera HDR. It can take 2 shots upto 3 stops apart and blend thme in camera. Now you could take 2-3 HDR images and then run these in a HDR software. The DR you would cover doing this would be amazing

I am getting the D800E, and I look forward to seeing how it does with HDR. I have a theory that the D800E is going to be great for HDR. My theory is this:

HDR is known to be soft and its possible that a big part of the softness is because HDR really brings out the flaws of an image. Since almost all digital cameras come with a AA filter that creates a softening effect to eliminate moire, HDR software really picks up this softness and magnifies it. I think with the new D800E which does not have this AA filter we might be able to get sharper HDR images straight out of the HDR software

my 2 cents

The resolution of the D800 is so much greater, its output without the E version, will look sharper than a D4 and it is unlikely that you will notice the difference between the D800 and the E version. The D800E does not eliminate the anti aliasing filter it just overlays another structure over to mitigate its effects. The D800E is brand new technology and you know what that usually means in the 1st model year. The Moire effect for certain patterns and scenes will drive you mad and it will be much worse with HDR because you will need to eliminate the moire pattern prior to merge and tonemap. I'll be getting the regular D800. One disappointment I have is that Nikon reduced the # of auto bracket shots from 9 to 7. And a note for HDR users, the 36 Megapixel image stacks will put a heavy load on your HDR s/w so you should test the program in advance to find out where it will choke.
Regards, Murray

my 2 cents

The resolution of the D800 is so much greater, its output without the E version, will look sharper than a D4 and it is unlikely that you will notice the difference between the D800 and the E version. The D800E does not eliminate the anti aliasing filter it just overlays another structure over to mitigate its effects. The D800E is brand new technology and you know what that usually means in the 1st model year. The Moire effect for certain patterns and scenes will drive you mad and it will be much worse with HDR because you will need to eliminate the moire pattern prior to merge and tonemap. I'll be getting the regular D800. One disappointment I have is that Nikon reduced the # of auto bracket shots from 9 to 7. And a note for HDR users, the 36 Megapixel image stacks will put a heavy load on your HDR s/w so you should test the program in advance to find out where it will choke.
Regards, Murray

There are many ways to sharpen an image so its tack sharp in photo shop. I hardly every worry about a picture being a little soft as I can fix that in photoshop.

In regards to the bracketed photos that blows. I was looking for information on that as a future camera and I would really like the 9..dang't NIKON! In regards to the resolution I agree
its going to take more processing power and ram to keep up with the huge files. Of course you could output to jpeg before importing into photomatix or PS as sometimes I do anyways to speed things up. Photomatix actually does converts RAW into JPEG in the import process from what i have read. But if you output to 16 bit tiff and process in photoshop I can only imagine the lag. I have a decent machine with the quad-core i7 processors and 8gig of ram sometimes I still see some lag on huge 16 bit files. Yikes!!!

Another thing to think about is nikon going to have to play catch up with their lenses? Will their current lenses be able capture the clarity that a 36mg sensor will produce???? Hhhmmm I wonder.

I'm not too worried about Moire and of course the D800 is going to be great,but for my needs I prefer the D800E. I have been waiting for a model like this for awhile that didn't cost 10k. They are using a filter system to cancel out the AA as you said but it will be the same as none at all. This likely was just more cost effective. I don't think this is some leap in technolgy and I have no worries of a lemon first batch.

Enjoy your D800 as I will enjoy my D800E

Hmm, according to Trey Ratcliff ala his suggestion to Tom Anderson, the D800 on a Tripod is going to produce the better quality image. Especially for big prints. Which makes a lot of sense.

What's the tradeoff? The 36mp of the d800 is going to make handheld shots a lot more difficult to obtain optimal sharpness with such a sheer amount of pixels. But on a tripod, I'd have to agree the D800 will most likely conquer.

mistermonday this is off nikons website:

Exposure Bracketing
2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV

Most reactions

New Topics

Back