D800? Or d700? (2012)

It is rumored to have no internal focus motor, which can be very limiting in lens selection.

Except that Nikon don't produce a camera with only entry level controls so there's nothing limiting about it. I don't think anyone would call their D90 limiting and the D600 will be a major step up.
Also the only leaked picture of the D600 so far shows a screw drive for the focus just like every other mag alloy body camera Nikon make, rumour is it WILL have a focusing motor.

As for the original question. I was in that boat just now. I found it very hard to drop so much money for old technology. The D800 is in every way a better camera even when you ignore features like video; far better AF, high resolution etc. Who needs FX lenses when you can shoot DX on the D800 at 15mpxl? I don't for a moment regret getting the D800 over the D700 a few months ago.

The only thing the D700 has going for it is that it's still a damn good camera.

Garbz said:
Except that Nikon don't produce a camera with only entry level controls so there's nothing limiting about it. I don't think anyone would call their D90 limiting and the D600 will be a major step up.
Also the only leaked picture of the D600 so far shows a screw drive for the focus just like every other mag alloy body camera Nikon make, rumour is it WILL have a focusing motor.

As for the original question. I was in that boat just now. I found it very hard to drop so much money for old technology. The D800 is in every way a better camera even when you ignore features like video; far better AF, high resolution etc. Who needs FX lenses when you can shoot DX on the D800 at 15mpxl? I don't for a moment regret getting the D800 over the D700 a few months ago.

The only thing the D700 has going for it is that it's still a damn good camera.

The rumors on the D600 had been updated since my last read... so maybe! Internal focus motor would make the D600 much more acceptable. As far as the menus go, that depends on what level you want to shoot at. If you try to shoot events, weddings, and other "fast" subjects... having better controls definitely makes it easier.

Why bother buying a FX if you are going to shoot it in DX? Waste of money and time if you ask me.... and those FX lenses are far superior to any DX lens! That is like putting a speed limiter and really crappy tires on a Ferrari!

I agree totally... if you are willing to spend the money, and make sure that your glass will handle the D800. That is why I bought one.

For the money, the D700 is probably the best bargain out there.

Last edited:
If you can do without video and don't print massive the d700 is a fantastic camera that imho most people(except sports shooters) would find lacking nowhere.

The D800 has a Dx/crop mode, this ups the fps to 5 and reduces the file sizes significantly. It also gives you more reach for wildlife. The D800 is the perfect camera IMO. Use the full sensor for studio/portraits/landscape where you won't be shooting so many frames and don't need speed. Use it in crop mode for extra speed and reach for wildlife/sports.

The DX mode in the 800 isn't bad, didn't care for the results with the 18-200, but with the better glass of the 17-55 2.8, not too bad, just have to remember to shoot in the black lines! lol, but the fx results, imo, are better. That said if i weren't doing video, id probably have gotten the D700, Ive already found use for the large size files when cropping way in
(birth photography), and its been awesome for that.

i think you need to figure out how that camera would benefit you from the d700

Why buy a full frame now, when another option is about to be available? I would at least wait for the official announcement so I'd know what my options are. The D600 will have a better sensor than the D700 and will most likely be the same or less than a used D700.

If the D600 is better than the D700 (which I doubt it will be), it would severely cannibalize sales from the D700 and the D800.

Edit: It would eliminate the D700 all together.

Last edited:

Why buy a full frame now, when another option is about to be available? I would at least wait for the official announcement so I'd know what my options are. The D600 will have a better sensor than the D700 and will most likely be the same or less than a used D700.

If the D600 is better than the D700 (which I doubt it will be), it would severely cannibalize sales from the D700 and the D800.

Edit: It would eliminate the D700 all together.

Well, the D700 has been discontinued.

Nikon D700 & D300s are now officially discontinued | Nikon Rumors

I didn't say the D600 would be better than a D700, that is subject to the purchaser's needs. But it will have a better sensor.

jamesbjenkins said:
Not to be rude, OP...

Did you even attempt to use the search function to look through other threads covering the exact same question? You won't always find what you're looking for with the search, but if you do you can save yourself and all of us quite a bit of time having the same conversation again.

We've been around this bush a few dozen times since the D800 was released.

Just saying.

Thanks for the post. I didn't know about the search feature. But now I do and it's great.

It is rumored to have no internal focus motor, [...]
The leaked photos of the D600 clearly show that it has a motor.

Since there are still AF lenses around that havent seen an AF-S replacement, such as the 105/135mm DC portrait lenses, this absolutely makes sense.

Hello everyone just got online with this so
Give me a little time

Most reactions

Back