D800 or D800E?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by bertsirkin, Feb 22, 2012.

?

If you've pre-ordered, which camera have you ordered?

1. I've pre-ordered the D800

83.3%
  2. I've pre-ordered the D800E

16.7%
  1. bertsirkin

bertsirkin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    We publish camera guides, and have noticed an interesting phenomenon. We’ve had a number of requests already for a D800 CheatSheet. The fact that the request are so early isn’t unusual – what is unusual, is that all of them (about 12) have asked specifically for the D800E.

Nikon has stated that it expects a much smaller audience for the D800E. Of the people that have pre-ordered, how many have ordered the D800 and how many the D800E?

2. ph0enix

ph0enix TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm guessing that a good number of people with too much $$$ who don't know a thing about anti-aliasing filters (or lack there of) will buy the D800E once they're told the camera takes sharper photos than the D800.
    I would probably opt for the E-less version.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think Nikon shouldn't have released the E version. There going to be a lot of people upset about it because they don't know what they're signing up for. Only color moire can be removed in post and unless you want to shoot at f/22 or slightly defocus your image, your boned. Not to mention alot of the clarity can be made up with good sharpening technique. For gods sake the camera prints a 16x24 @ 300dpi...Most of the people who will get the E I bet are retards who get wood about stupid things like corner sharpness.

4. CedarBranchNikon

CedarBranchNikon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anti-aliasing, color moire, moire fringing, Nyquist filters? I just want to take a picture. Like film speed, graininess and depth-of-field wasn't hard enough to figure out, and guide numbers. What's happened to photography, it used to be FUN!;) (Just kidding) Serioulsy though, it makes me wonder what I've gotten into trying to jump from 35mm SLR to DSLR.

5. bertsirkin

bertsirkin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photography can be overwhelming at first - like learning a new language. But, at some point, you get over-the-hump - you "get it", and it no longer is difficult. But, in the interim, I think a lot of budding-photographers think that buying equipment will make it easier - problem is, that the new equipment usually makes it more difficult.

I think this is the case with the D800 and D800E. I suspect that people think the "sharper pictures" from the D800E will improve their photography - like taking a magic pill to lose weight. As with weight-loss, it just doesn't work that way. There's no replacement for understanding and practice. You need to get over the learning-hump, and once you do, you "get it" and it becomes a lot easier. Of course, that doesn't stop you from buying new equipment :)

I suspect that Nikon is going to be overwhelmed with D800E orders.

6. ekhphoto

ekhphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

My p25 digital back has no anti-aliasing filter, and I have only had one image where that was a problem -- fixed it in Capture One. I don't shoot close-ups of ties for Yves St. Laurent, so I don't see it as a problem for the d800e. Could be wrong, in which case my on-order camera will be 2000 bucks down the drain in short order.