D800 Owners Beware!

I ALWAYS attach the body to a computer and no problems here either. Not so surprisingly, that's what the USB port is there for.

This , it was designed for the purpose, its how I download all my photos from my camera.

I ALWAYS attach the body to a computer and no problems here either. Not so surprisingly, that's what the USB port is there for.

This , it was designed for the purpose, its how I download all my photos from my camera.

That is ONE of the OPTIONS.. true! But just because someone does it differently, doesn't mean that they are wrong, RIGHT? I think of the USB port as a device for tethering the camera... not uploading photos.

cgipson1 said:
I do the same... always pull a card, never attach the body to a computer! And never an issue! I do try to be careful putting them in though... that probably helps.

Me three!

cgipson1 said:
I do the same... always pull a card, never attach the body to a computer! And never an issue! I do try to be careful putting them in though... that probably helps.

Me three!

Me four

Don't understand your problem exactly, but I feel that connecting your camera to external electronics carry's with it a risk of damaging the camera electronics. Recommendation is to pull the memory card out of the camera and use a card reader. Then when you replace the card in the camera, reformat it using the camera format command, either by pushing the two format buttons or using the menu system in the camera to format. Also you are not wasting battery power.

Rediculous. You run more risk of damaging the card contacts in the camera pulling the card out all the time.

Aren't the cards (and slots in the camera) designed to be removed and replaced all the time? If not, wouldn't the camera just have internal memory?

Don't understand your problem exactly, but I feel that connecting your camera to external electronics carry's with it a risk of damaging the camera electronics. Recommendation is to pull the memory card out of the camera and use a card reader. Then when you replace the card in the camera, reformat it using the camera format command, either by pushing the two format buttons or using the menu system in the camera to format. Also you are not wasting battery power.

Rediculous. You run more risk of damaging the card contacts in the camera pulling the card out all the time.

Aren't the cards (and slots in the camera) designed to be removed and replaced all the time? If not, wouldn't the camera just have internal memory?

Good Point! Lets say you are shooting an event... and you fill a card up! Are you going to:

A: pull out your handy dandy laptop and USB sync cable and WAIT for that computer boot time and transfer time??? (with a D800.. and a 32 GB card.. that is going to take awhile, even at USB 3.0)

B: put out the full card, and pop in another? (Takes just a few seconds, and weighs a lot less than a laptop!)

Back to the original post: I have the same or similar issue. I am using the NX2 software that came with the d800 & pull the memory card out of the camera for transfer.
My NEF files won't load in to iphoto. I can import them all in to NX2 and the jpg files I can move from NX2 to iphoto but not the NEF files. To make matters worse I imported some bracketed NEF files into photomatix to do HDR and then when I saved the resultant file back to my NX2 folder it causes NX2 to crash everytime as soon ad I open that particular folder, but not if I open other folders.

I am still very curious as to why some people do not connect their camera to their computer.
Not being rude or silly, but can you please explain why you feel you shouldn't connect these two?
Thanks

I've used Nikon Transfer with D800 without any problems to speak of.

SamSpade1941 said:
Actually gang there are more than a few who have broke my cardinal rule of technology. Never and I repeat never purchase the initial release , always wait 90 days. take it FWIW and YMMV.

We are well beyond 90 days here.

kundalini said:
Nothing to do with the D800, but in response to some of the other posters. I have the D300 and D700, both use CF cards, and have yet to have a failure with any of my cards. The D300 came out in 2007, so that is ~5 years of use. I have never connected my cameras to the computer, always transfer files via a reader. I also format the card after each transfer. NEVER a problem. Am I just lucky or careful with the in/out of the cards to camera and reader? I dunno, but I'll keep doing it that way.

Probably careful AND lucky. There's little question that I'm being paranoid, but I do know three people who had issues. My friend, my best friend and my aunt. Two bent pins and one pulled... So it certainly is a real threat.

cgipson1 said:
Good Point! Lets say you are shooting an event... and you fill a card up! Are you going to:

A: pull out your handy dandy laptop and USB sync cable and WAIT for that computer boot time and transfer time??? (with a D800.. and a 32 GB card.. that is going to take awhile, even at USB 3.0)

B: put out the full card, and pop in another? (Takes just a few seconds, and weighs a lot less than a laptop!)

C. Buy cards way bigger than you generally need and don't switch. :)

toontca said:
I am still very curious as to why some people do not connect their camera to their computer.
Not being rude or silly, but can you please explain why you feel you shouldn't connect these two?
Thanks

Actually when connecting my d800 to my computer via USB I got a lovely little spark... I'd say that's good cause to avoid connecting the camera to the computer.

(sorry for the posts- no multiquote option on my phone)

bs0604 said:
Back to the original post: I have the same or similar issue. I am using the NX2 software that came with the d800 & pull the memory card out of the camera for transfer.
My NEF files won't load in to iphoto. I can import them all in to NX2 and the jpg files I can move from NX2 to iphoto but not the NEF files. To make matters worse I imported some bracketed NEF files into photomatix to do HDR and then when I saved the resultant file back to my NX2 folder it causes NX2 to crash everytime as soon ad I open that particular folder, but not if I open other folders.

So viewnx2 is failing you? Did you install the one that came with the d800?

Thanks

You can do it either way... whichever you want.. BUT (maybe you missed this):

Lets say you are shooting an event... and you fill a card up! Are you going to:

It is a matter of personal preference... do what makes you happy!

Most reactions

Back