D800 price are falling, what to do...

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been toying with the idea of going FF for a while now. D800 prices seem to be falling well below 2k in the used market and I am teetering on grabbing one. The wait for the unicorn d400 seems to be non existent. The one thing I can't quite get through my head is how noise compares in DX mode to the D7100. I know FF is 1 stop better more DR etc, but when I was shooting with the D600 the noise seemed about the same as the D7100 when the same shot was cropped to the same size. I know most comparisons are done with "equivelent FOV in the other direction framing the same shot. I also see that the Tamron does even better on a FF supposedly. What are the thoughts of my TPF faithful? Even if the D400 is announced at photokina, other than speed will it really be better than the proven IQ of the D800?

I'm also wondering the same thing you are right now.

I'm just going to sit here and listen :)

It will indeed be a great and interesting time to getting a good deal for a D800 or a D800E.

^^Hopefully the new ones will drop in price too.

Would love to go full frame

^^
What I understand is that the D810 replaces both the D800 and the D800E, so new ones will only endure duriung the current shop stock. And their prodution will be terminated. Ony used will be availible in a few time. Or am I wrong?

Hey hey, if I were you, I'd just go for the D810 instead. Why? You mentioned that you wanted a D400 instead. Well, the D810 now shoots RAW in smaller formats too, which means you can shoot in crop mode in RAW. Plus many other small but somewhat significant perks, I think it's a more logical choice than simply going for the D800.

My friend bought a D800 a few months ago and he now hates himself.

I'm Holding out till I can get the D810 ,now . .............. Soon I hope ,But now I want to see if there are any "Bugs " to be fix with the new ones .?

Hey hey, if I were you, I'd just go for the D810 instead. Why? You mentioned that you wanted a D400 instead. Well, the D810 now shoots RAW in smaller formats too, which means you can shoot in crop mode in RAW. Plus many other small but somewhat significant perks, I think it's a more logical choice than simply going for the D800.

My friend bought a D800 a few months ago and he now hates himself.

The new sRAW is useless. Thom Hogan details the pitfalls of sRAW...basically he calls it "11-bit JPEG". The data is highly compromised, and it absolutely KILLS the buffer AND the damned things are just a tiny,tiny bit smaller than 12-bit compressed raw!!! The buffer goes down from 58 compressed 12-bit RAWs to a mere 18 frames in sRAW...it is a useless feature...there's no significant file size savings, and the data is already mangled. The data is not really raw either. It's a lose-lose situation.

The sRaw Myth | byThom | Thom Hogan

D800 as it sits now is still a 5 year camera. If it weren't for video I'd have gotten one. The 810 seems to be a very minor upgrade.

Go full frame and you'll need a longer lens! :)

I am thinking about upgrading the ol' D7000 too. The used market isn't all that good up here away from the bigger cities so a new D810 may be my best option. Saving a third of the price and getting a D800(E) sounds like the smart choice though.

Are you sure the bigger sensor is what you want? The 24 megapixel crop sensors have substantially smaller pixel pitch that the D800. If you're cropping significantly, all the big sensor does is allow your aim to be worse. Which might be worth it right there, to be sure.

That 36Mp sensor sounds so good until you do the arithmetic. For maximum reach the 24 crops can be better.

Are you sure the bigger sensor is what you want? The 24 megapixel crop sensors have substantially smaller pixel pitch that the D800. If you're cropping significantly, all the big sensor does is allow your aim to be worse. Which might be worth it right there, to be sure.

That 36Mp sensor sounds so good until you do the arithmetic. For maximum reach the 24 crops can be better.
huh ??
:scratch:

Most reactions

Back