D800 price are falling, what to do...

Somewhat off topic, but I would recommend you get your hands on a raw file from one of the newer exmor sensor equipped Nikon cameras. What you can pull out of the shadows cleanly with them is amazing (and this is coming from a Canon shooter).

Here are a pair of Lightroom screengrabs I did from D800 files to show the amazing amount of latitude those sensors have:
This one was pushed 5 stops and then the highlights were pulled down as far as Lr would allow. The final image is as clean as you'd like.

This is the same thing, the exposure was for the light outside, then the image was pushed 5 stops with highlights pulled all the way down.

Not sure if this helps (or is relevant based on the cropping question) but in my "newbie mind" it seemed relevant to show what is possible after you have the shot with the D800. This is from a different post discussing real estate stuff but the clarity (at least in these examples) that is available in processing is VERY impressive to me.

Again, not sure if this helps...If it doesn't, just think of this post as a time-out and now you can resume your previous conversation... :)

Somewhat off topic, but I would recommend you get your hands on a raw file from one of the newer exmor sensor equipped Nikon cameras. What you can pull out of the shadows cleanly with them is amazing (and this is coming from a Canon shooter).

Here are a pair of Lightroom screengrabs I did from D800 files to show the amazing amount of latitude those sensors have:
This one was pushed 5 stops and then the highlights were pulled down as far as Lr would allow. The final image is as clean as you'd like.

This is the same thing, the exposure was for the light outside, then the image was pushed 5 stops with highlights pulled all the way down.

Not sure if this helps (or is relevant based on the cropping question) but in my "newbie mind" it seemed relevant to show what is possible after you have the shot with the D800. This is from a different post discussing real estate stuff but the clarity (at least in these examples) that is available in processing is VERY impressive to me.

Again, not sure if this helps...If it doesn't, just think of this post as a time-out and now you can resume your previous conversation... :)

This makes me so excited to shoot sunsets with it!

The Dynamic Range is one reason I love the d600. It's great for pulling details out of the shadows .. like at car shows when a hood is open on a bright day and the car is well exposed, but the engine isn't (if you do it opposite the outside is blown out). Then you bring out the shadows and it's great.

I am very curious what specs we'll get with the d7200 and the d620. They'll both be equipped with the new expeed 4 processor.

I am very curious what specs we'll get with the d7200 and the d620. They'll both be equipped with the new expeed 4 processor.

As am I.

Most reactions

Back