D800 vs D800E

PDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographydirectoryproject.com
I'm looking to upgrade to an FX format camera and are fairly certain that the D800/D800E is a suitable camera for my purposes, however I can't decide between the two and would appreciate some advice.
I understand what the difference is between the two cameras, but aren't sure in practical terms how it would effect me.
I am principally shooting landscape, but don't want to rule out the possibility of shooting other subjects, such as weddings or sport.

If anyone has experience of using a camera without an anti-alaising filter (ie some MF cameras), you might be able to help answer the following questions;

- How prone to moire will the D800E be?
- Practically, is moire a big problem, can it be easily avoided? What situations cannot be shot without moire forming.
- Is there such a thing as a lens mounted anti-alaising filter, which I could buy and therefore have the best of both worlds?

Thanks

I don't know how good Nikon's corrective software will be, so it's difficult to give a definitive answer now. One thing is fairly certain: once stopped down to about f/8 diffraction will act as an AA filter at the sensel spacing of the D800E. There is a difference between the D800E and many medium format backs - sensel spacing. The finer the sensel spacing, the more lens aberrations, lack of resolution and slight defocus (DoF, circle of confusion and all that) will effectively act as an AA filter.

We used to use very light fog filters with early professional CCD video cameras (mid 1980's) to soften images slightly for technical reasons. That could work here, but I'd like to see more examples of the software solutions, and more practical examples.

Effectively eliminating moire can be very difficult in software. Although sample images show a siginificant sharpness difference between the D800 and D800E samples, in real life applications, unless you're printing very large prints or cropping significantly, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Weighing the difficulty of removing unwanted patterns in images agains the marginal sharpness gained, I would guess that few people need, or would benefit from, the D800E. Just my 2 cents.

Effectively eliminating moire can be very difficult in software. Although sample images show a siginificant sharpness difference between the D800 and D800E samples, in real life applications, unless you're printing very large prints or cropping significantly, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Weighing the difficulty of removing unwanted patterns in images agains the marginal sharpness gained, I would guess that few people need, or would benefit from, the D800E. Just my 2 cents.

This was what I had concluded after reading up on several forums. I ended up pre-ordering a D800.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back