D800 - will it really be as scary as Nikon is indicating?

bertsirkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photobert.com, http
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon came out with a D800 Technical Guide - I'm not sure if this is a "first" or not, but I don't recall anything like this coming from Nikon before. You can download it from here:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

Nikon must be really worried about the bad-press they may get if they don't warn people in advance - and this document does just that. It's a primer on good technique - and a warning that the D800 is going to require a LOT of good technique.

wow! thanks for posting, nice read

Given how poor the technique of many people actually *is*, this roughly 8-page brochure filled with diagrams and small sample photos, and some very simple-to-follow instructional blurbs might be of tremendous help to people who have never really been taught the proper ways to maximize image quality. Many people have come to photography within just the last three years, and are entirely self-taught, and have no experience with tripods, mirror-up, self-timer, or anti-vibration settings; nor do they have experience with using a remote control release, nor on focusing methods and selection of optimal settings.

We last saw a LOT of problems when consumer d-slrs went from the 6 Megapixel range, up to 12 MP or so...people began to notice faults and flaws in their images--which had been rather hidden in their 6MP captures. With a new camera that is going to be outputting door-sized image files right off the CF card, some help like this is going to be of great benefit to many people.

Bert...I thought you had your hands on this body already and were telling us about how hard it was going to be....:confused:

<<Given how poor the technique of many people actually *is*, this roughly 8-page brochure filled with diagrams and small sample photos, and some very simple-to-follow instructional blurbs might be of tremendous help... >>
Yes, it does cover most of the basics, but not all. The bigest problem I've found with most new photographers, is that they buy a shaky tripod and think it's better than hand-holding. There's nothing worse than a tripod that isn't really solid! I do remember the initial issues going from 6 to 12mp - but, the last generation of 12mp cameras (D700/D3) spoiled a lot of people (including me). With the excellent high-ISO performance, I could leave my tripod home to collect dust and still get great shots. Of course I always try to brace the camera against something, though - so it's not like there's no external stabilization. But the D800 will change all of that once again.

People who find such a camera too difficult should stick to little point&shoot cameras.

Bert...I thought you had your hands on this body already and were telling us about how hard it was going to be....:confused:
No, I'm not that lucky or connected. I was just extrapolating what it will be like to shoot 36mp. Looks like Nikon agrees, though.

...dammit bert...now I'm confused....but, yes...I'm waiting for the TPF pre-order hands on guys to share their points of view after they have handled it a bit...

...dammit bert...now I'm confused....but, yes...I'm waiting for the TPF pre-order hands on guys to share their points of view after they have handled it a bit...

Well, I suspect that there will be quite a few "hands-on" reports here, as well as elsewhere. The problem with all of the reports thus far, is that most have been with pre-production cameras, and many from people paid by Nikon.

This will undoubtedly be a much more difficult camera to deal with than the current generation is - what it will do is to either teach new-comers what good technique is, or force old-timers to go back to good technique. What really surprise me in this document, is that Nikon is recommending using LiveView with the D800 to help avoid mirror vibration. I suspect holding a DSLR with 2-hands while looking at the LCD is much less steady, however, than using your head/eye as an additional steadying point. I guess it's a "name your poison" situation - mirror vibration or camera shake.

The purpose of this literature is to educate, not scare anyone.
Following these techniques will help anyone to use any camera better.
I think it has been a really good idea.
Now they need to release the (no-print) version of the manual.

Nikon wants to sell D800 cameras, lots of them.
If everyone is prepared, there will be lots of raves.
They do not want the complaints that the D7000 created
because the extra resolution shows user error more better.

But, I think the D800 will be easier to use.
It is FullFrame with pixel size slightly larger and the Processing, metering, and AutoFocusing are all improved.

<----"ain't skeered"

and if the D800 is so good Derrel buys a few i might have to pic one up too
bigthumb.gif

Moire would be almost non-existent if you print small. Diffraction would also be less of an issue if you print small. Same goes to the blur caused by shaking hands. If you do print big, you'll face those problems, but it's the same as printing big using a sensor with smaller resolution. If you are really keen on hiding diffraction, moire and blur caused by shaking hands, you could always downsize the picture then upsize again. That way you would hide them, but you'll not be using the full potential of your camera.

There's a myth that higher resolution shows flaws easier. This is because they're examining their picture at 100%. That is not true because if both were displayed at the same magnification, it wouldn't have much difference. Same goes to noise performance, if a high res-ed sensor's image is displayed at the same size as the lower res-ed sensor's image, they'll have the same noise performance as long as the technology is similar.

Most reactions

Back