D800

Its just all about what your priorities are... for me, low light performance isn't tops on the list. I like to print big and I need good dynamic range.

Opposite here. Always in low light. But I love the AF performance, mp and feel of the nikon.

But really at this point the war between the two is a battle if inches.

I love mine too. I like the way it handles, the balance, the layout of buttons and the low light performance. I mostly shoot using jpeg and auto ISO. But I like having all the options.

Anyone shooting with a D800? How is it. The reviews all say to buy it over the D700 if you are not FF yet. I was going to buy the D700 untill now, it looks like the D800.

If you have the budget , then I would go for nikon D800. ... It's got a lot of resolution I had some pics of comparison between D3s , 5d mkIII and d800. At that time I decided to keep the 5D mkIII but if it was today, I would def. had kept the d800.
When viewing pic on the computer screen, there isn't much difference between the noise performance between all the cameras above , but when u view 100%, D800 has more noise and more detail but only because of the extra MP. If downgraded , I don't think there is much difference between all three of them

I went from a D300 to a D700 and I am very happy in doing so.
D800 is on my radar, but not 'till it's replaced and prices fall. I'm poor.

I would be more than happy to spend 3k+ for the mark III's noise performance
The 6D has better low noise performance than the 5DIII and only costs about $1500 (in a kit, which is what you should buy even if you just immediately sell the lens on ebay afterward).

Not going to comment on Nikon vs. Canon obviously as we have been down that road too many times. But within the Canon realm of options, if low light is what you mainly care about, the 6D is the far better choice, offering slightly better performance at half the cost.

If you care about autofocus points more, then and only then should you lean more toward the 5DIII, in my opinion. But you have to REALLY care about autofocus points (and not care about low light) to make them worth an extra $1500.

I would be more than happy to spend 3k+ for the mark III's noise performance
The 6D has better low noise performance than the 5DIII and only costs about $1500 (in a kit, which is what you should buy even if you just immediately sell the lens on ebay afterward).

Not going to comment on Nikon vs. Canon obviously as we have been down that road too many times. But within the Canon realm of options, if low light is what you mainly care about, the 6D is the far better choice, offering slightly better performance at half the cost.

If you care about autofocus points more, then and only then should you lean more toward the 5DIII, in my opinion. But you have to REALLY care about autofocus points (and not care about low light) to make them worth an extra $1500.

I would think the entire autofocus system, not just the points.

Love mine! my husband went and bought his own a week after as he was so impressed :wink:

There seems to be a lot to like about this camera. I fancied a change from canon (for no other reason but i read to much reviews) and I wanted new tech. I have gone micro 4/3rds for my carry camera. i may go to one of these for when conditions are a little trickier

if your a Nikon shooter the d800 is very good value for what it does. I have used mine for over about a year and a half now, mostly for wildlife photography. so I hike, kayak, shoot from car, lay on ground, etc. its my only body and while I don't do anything professionally I still don't worry much about it just not working on me.

the camera has been pretty flawless for me. of coarse the Nikon white balance curse is always in effect. I shoot raw and use auto white balance, and a lot of the time its just way off, but obviously easy to fix when shooting raw, for some reason is much better when you shoot jpg. but we all know canon is better for auto white balance. ISO is pretty good for a 36mp, I don't think the 5d mark iii is really any better, especially if you downsized to 22mp like the mark iii

as well as the d800 just blows canon out of the water for dynamic range at low iso, its pretty amazing really, and one of the best things Nikon offers IMO, that and shadow recovery from RAW files. canon is somewhat opposite and better for highlight recovery, but not as good as Nikon is for shadow recovery.

bottom line, if your a Nikon shooter the d800 is really a top contender for best all around camera IMO

Most reactions

New Topics

Back