D850

Mr_Mac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After years of buying and using crop sensor cameras, it was time to finally move up to a full frame camera. After a lot of discussion with The Better 9/10ths, we decided to go ahead and dive right in to the deep end with the D850. We are about to move in to a sailboat full time and really wanted a capable camera to capture so much beauty out on the water. The Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, islands, sunsets, wildlife, the list goes on.

That said, I don't begrudge my years of budget buying as it has taught me a lot over the years. The next step will be to decide what software to use for the pics once their taken. I am open to suggestions!

NX Studio by Nikon is very capable, free and will read your Raw NEF's as they were captured in camera. It also employs U-Point technology for selective adjustments.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Enjoy the D850, which is arguably the best dslr ever made. I told my wife I want to be buried with mine along with my favorite Kiesel guitar. As far as software goes, it really depends on how you are going to use it. If you are just interested in basic editing like white point, exposure, noise reduction, sharpening, maybe some tone curve adjustment and cropping, then Nikon NX-D and many other similar products are fine. If you want create an image database to make it easier to search and find images out of a large collection of images along with basic editing, then you might want to look at Adobe's LightRoom. Another good suite is from Topaz, although it lacks the database feature.

For $10 a month the Lightroom/PS combo is fantastic. Pick up Nik plugins as well. I love the d850, great body.

I use DXO PhotoLab. I like th idea of owning it and the AI Noise reduction is excellent. For me, the workflow is easy. I think I paid about $150 for the "pro" version. In the end get what works for you. $10 bucks a month or $150 ever few years pales imcomparison to the investment we make in bodies and lenses and they are all very capable.

After years of buying and using crop sensor cameras, it was time to finally move up to a full frame camera. After a lot of discussion with The Better 9/10ths, we decided to go ahead and dive right in to the deep end with the D850. We are about to move in to a sailboat full time and really wanted a capable camera to capture so much beauty out on the water. The Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, islands, sunsets, wildlife, the list goes on.
Wow! Good luck with your next step in life. That sounds amazing!!
If you ever make it down to Corozal, Belize drop a line, we'll be heading there for good next year.

Not sure what our future holds for us yet, but that sounds like a good plan! Thanks! :)

We received the new camera with an AF-P 70-300 4.5 - 6.3 DX lens and recently added the AF-S 50mm 1:1.8G and an AF-S 24-120mm 1:4G ED. So far the 24-120 is my favorite all-around lens. I also ordered a few skylight filters for all three lenses.

While this is not my first DSLR, I have to say, the learning curve on the D850 is a whole lot steeper than I thought it might be based on my past experience with Sony and Canon! Those were simple by comparison! It's like drinking from a 3" fire hose!

While this is not my first DSLR, I have to say, the learning curve on the D850 is a whole lot steeper than I thought it might be based on my past experience with Sony and Canon! Those were simple by comparison! It's like drinking from a 3" fire hose!

With a high end camera it is definetaly important to skim through the manual and then read some sections in detail. Then practice, practice practice. First you have to know it has a specific feature and then you have to be able to configure for it quickly when necessary.

With a high end camera it is definitely important to skim through the manual and then read some sections in detail.
I found the brightest light in the house and the biggest magnifying glass I could find and have begun that process! :encouragement:

That said, I don't begrudge my years of budget buying as it has taught me a lot over the years. The next step will be to decide what software to use for the pics once their taken. I am open to suggestions!
So far I only shoot SOOC and don't photoshop my phhotos. Might have couple that were 2 shot stack. Generally, SOOC doesn't seem to be the popular way to go.

So far I only shoot SOOC and don't photoshop my phhotos. Might have couple that were 2 shot stack. Generally, SOOC doesn't seem to be the popular way to go.
If it gets you what you want it is certainly much more efficient. Why make more work for yourself?

There are times I intentionally under expose a shot with the intention, in post, of bringing detail out is the shadows. I do this when I need a faster shutter speed for sports shots and the aperture is wide open and the ISO is as high as I want to go. Also, I normally frame a shot such that it has the composition I need plus a little more. This gives me the ability in post to find the aspect ratio that is most pleasing.

I'm partial to the Nikon software as it really nails Nikon colors. I use a very dated copy of LR and PS in conjunction with it.

Most reactions

Back