d90 matrix meter tweak?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i was reading on a different forum where someone said that by default the matrix metering mode on the d90 tends to overexpose subjects so the OP said "with much trepidation i set the matrix metering to -1".

I would like to try this but i cant find a setting anywhere to weak the actual matrix metering type except for center weighted.
anyone know what im talking about?

He was probably talking about exposure compensation.

That may not necessarily work for you though... It all depends on what you point the meter at ... they are generally very accurate - you just have to know where to aim it.

Get yourself a solid understanding of how each metering mode actually works (what it's looking at, what it want's to do) and you shouldn't have to use exposure compensation much...

Once you know what each mode does, and when to use each one - you shouldn't have any problems.

If you can't trust your meter, what can you trust?

You just have to learn to interpret what it's telling you.

What I am really trying to say is that if he has to use exposure compensation to make matrix (evaluative on Canon) metering work, he is using the wrong metering mode for the environment he is shooting it.

There's a setting to fine tune the exposure that is independent from exposure compensation:

Custom Setting Menu
Metering/Exposure
Fine Tune Optimal Exposure

You can adjust Matrix, Center Weighted, and Spot metering separately.

I currently have all 3 set at -1/6, but have had matrix set at -2/6 from time to time. You need to remember that you did this because it will not register as exposure compensation. It is separate from the +/- button.

The meter does tend to be a little hot, but I have found that I was also to blame for much of the over exposed shots in the beginning.

HTH

Most reactions

New Topics

Back