D90 or D1X

ImNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been saving up for a D90 lately. but then i got thinking about older cameras that i could get for cheap. now i was wondering, should i go with the D90 or an old, used D1X for cheaper. side note: i wont be using video on the D90.

In place of the D90, have a look at the new D7000 released by Nikon which is the replacement for the D90. Its boasting some impressive stats.

but it also costs even more money.

The D1X won't come close to having the ISO capability of the D90, but it has a unique image sensor that has both square and rectangular pixels, and with pro glass makes sweet, if small, images. I sold the last I had D1X about 8 months ago.

The D1X only has 5.3 effective MP, only 5 AF points, only a 2" rear LCD, and it can't handle CF cards larger than 2GB.
Even fresh, new, EN-4 batteries last for only a fraction of the time D90 batteries do, because the D1X is way less efficient at using power.
NOTE: 10MB output of 4,016 x 2,616 pixels with NEF (RAW) files can be obtained using optional "Nikon Capture 4" Software.

Not using the video on the D90 is OK, because being the first dSLR to also offer video, it sucks really bad compared to what is available on DSLR's today.

Here is what DP Review had to say back in June of 2001 when the D1X was the new Nikon top-of-the-line:
Nikon D1x Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I recommend getting the D90.

thanks for being helpful. the D7000 looks awesome. but i just dont have the cash for that. I think I will most likely go with the D90. I was really drawn into the 1/500 flash sync speed on the D1X since i shoot a lot of action shots.

I was really drawn into the 1/500 flash sync speed on the D1X since i shoot a lot of action shots.

FWIW, my D40 can do that too, and those can be had used for relatively little money.

interesting. i dont really plan on getting a D40 but i did not know such a low priced camera had that capability when a D90 can't even do that.

yeah, the nikon site says it can sync up to 1/500. definitely not 1/4000

Don't waste your money on a D1x, if you're going to go for a cheap pro body, maybe a D2h, or a D200. If you can stretch the D7000, do that instead.

interesting. i dont really plan on getting a D40 but i did not know such a low priced camera had that capability when a D90 can't even do that.
The D40 can sync all the way up to 1/4000.

i think you're confusing flash sync speed with shutter speed

Since the D40 (not D40x) use a electronic shutter (above 1/90), so technically it can sync all the way up.

Quoted from Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]flash sync on the D40 is arbitrarily limited to 1/500 (with non-TTL sources you can shoot flash at any shutter speed)."[/FONT]

The D40 can sync all the way up to 1/4000.

i think you're confusing flash sync speed with shutter speed

This is one of the reasons I still have my D70 - it's electronic shutter will sync at all speeds, but only with manual flashes through a pc plug. Does not work with either my sb-400, sb-600 or sb-800 mounted on camera. No problems up to 1/4000 with metz cl4, at 1/8000 it's about 2 stops underexposed.

Pat

Most reactions

Back