D90 vs D300

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting a New body as I have a D80 and just sold the D70s. Here is my question for those in the know... Which is a better choice? i.e. controls, resolustion (I know both are 12 mp but mp matters not so much.)
My main interest is landscape and do a little portrait. Price isnt an issue as both for me are afforadble. Who has them? what are your pros and cons in your opinion? I'd like some hands on feed back if possible.

My liking of the D90 is the compatability with my D80. Battery grip, accesories like such, same SD as where the D300 is CF.
Cons... I really dont need the video or dont care about the live view. I already have a Sony A1U and FX1. I dont need video.....

D300. I have had my hands on it. It feels solid! The build just feels awesome. Cons to me.. CF (only because Id then have to buy seperate memory) and not sure if they will pop up with a newer version in the next few months or in 09 at some point. I havent heard anything negative about it for the web research I have done.

So, all that said, Any input is appreciated. Pros and caons likes, quirks and so forth. Thank you in advance!

Marc

I've been shooting with my D300 for just about a year now, and I'm VERY pleased with it. I really don't have any thing bad to say about it; the only niggle of any consequence I can think of is that it doesn't have ISO 100. That said, low-light performance is excellent, and overall image quality is superb. Aside from budget, the only reason I can think of to go D90 vice D300 is if you REALLY need HDMI video in your SLR.

The biggest advantage that the D300 is going to have over the D90 is how much more sturdy that D300 is the then D90, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that the CF cards have faster transfer speeds the SD. The if you are shooting sports then you have the benefit of the 51 AF vs 11 AF of the D90 and the faster FPS.

Hi
I have D90 and I'm verry happy with it. But if you shooting landscapes you must consider that D300 is weather sealed and D90 isn't. This will be the reason to go for D300. D300 has better build quality (alloy magnesium body fully weather proof). And it has better focusing (51 AF points it is alot but for landscape photographer it isn't an issue anyway). So in my opinion the biggest advantage that D300 has over D90 is weather proof body (in your case). So you should think twice before you buy new toy :)
I hope my post helped slightly :)

Are you seriously considering an ~0.002% cost of the gear to be a deciding factor? For a memory card? Sandisk runs rebates often.

I had the D80 and then got a D300. Never looked back....... except every now and then to remember where the D80 is..... but usually not too far away..... and yes, I still use it.

BTW, on CF cards..... with the D300, you can use Sandisk Extreme IV cards with a faster write... or any other brand that supports UMDA.

After still more research I think I am going with the 300(90% +/-). It completely skipped my mind about the weather sealing and with the amount i travel, most of my shhoting is in the never ever humid central and south america.LOL. That was a good point. Thank you for the reminder! :thumbup:

As for the cost of the CF card... I could care less if it was twice the price. I am just a creature of conveince. It would simply be nice to share the same be it CF or SD. I dont even bother with the sandisck rebates... They are the only cards I shoot but 3 seperate occasions they have royally screwed up by getting my name wrong, the card purchased, how much the rebate was for etc, etc.... Awsome cards! Confussed company. I just pay the sticker and forget the hassel.

Thanks guys and keep any info coming if you have it. Greatly appreciated!

I visit the nikonians forum and the opinion is that this camera is not "weather sealed", its more like a watch, sort of splash proof but not weather/water proof, in fact there are stories about it malfunctioning in really high humidity, saying that I own one and find it a well built and versatile tool. Also a custom mode can be set for iso 100 but there's so little grain/noise at 200 I would possibly only set this up for studio use. H

Ordered the D90. Even though I liked both, the decission to ad the Sony Z1U to my video aresal, It save a bit of $. I did a lot of research and Took everyone heres advice, got both in my hands but it boiled down to $. Puls after the first of the year I am getting a new note book and desktop..... I'll drop back a report on how I like it. Aside from that, I was able to order a lot of extras (minus a new lens) I spent $1600 for the extras which would have ben more or less the D300's body alone. Aside from that, a friend whom shoots for the paper and various publications told me, anyone can spend thousands on a camera, learn what you have get your eye for photography and you'll be amazed at what you can do with even entry level gear. So here I go again! Thanks every one for your help. And I figure wait a year... and I will reward my time and efforts with a D700 (or what ever FX formats out at that time, he sugested that next due to the fact I love landscape). Gracias amigos! :thumbup:
Marc

Most reactions

Back