Da Vinci Code

wwjoeld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just finished reading this book and i have to say it is the best book i have ever read, i could not put it down.

It is by Dan Brown, and it explains a lot of things about christianity and other this related to jesus.

A crazy suspense thriller that will teach you many things and will keep you enthralled in the story line.

that is all

graigdavis said:
I read it. It really is a good FICTION book. I wouldnt go using it as a reference to Christianity and its history...

Agrees.
Its always wise to take any book's viewpoint, fiction or otherwise , with a large grain of salt. Really good bodies of fiction , IMO , serve to only pique your interest ( for further research ) on a subject rather then take it as gospel ( scuse the pun ) on its own merits.

check out Holy Blood, Holy Grail. it is the non-fiction body of research upon which dvc was based.

Even though DVC is fiction, it did make me question a lot of things. (Angels and Demons, the prequel to DVC is also good.) I was born and raised roman catholic, and though I had been falling away from the church for quite awhile, the things I learned (actually, like lum said, it really piqued my interest for further research) pretty much finished the job and gave me good reasons for my feelings.

Anyway, it is a great book. They're in preproduction for the movie now--ron howard's directing, and they're trying to get russell crowe for the lead.

I was actually planning on buying this book today. Its been highly recomended to me by firends and family. I'm glad you all like as well. I always love a good book :D

Shark said:
Even though DVC is fiction, it did make me question a lot of things. (Angels and Demons, the prequel to DVC is also good.) I was born and raised roman catholic, and though I had been falling away from the church for quite awhile, the things I learned (actually, like lum said, it really piqued my interest for further research) pretty much finished the job and gave me good reasons for my feelings.

Anyway, it is a great book. They're in preproduction for the movie now--ron howard's directing, and they're trying to get russell crowe for the lead.

Ha - this had screenplay written all over it. I've been hoping it wouldn't get botched. Ron Howard is going to give this movie excellent treatment. He's terrific! If they get Russell Crowe for the lead, tons of people will go see it, just on his star power.

And while it is a ripping good yarn in its own right, I must say it smacked of something that had been diligently researched. I was raised a Baptist, and I found huge portions of the text quite validating. Loved it!!

I bought a book called Breaking the Da Vinci Code. It totaly prooves everything wrong that the DVC says. Sit down with the DVC, this book and a bible and let me know what you come up with. Cool stuff.

graigdavis said:
I bought a book called Breaking the Da Vinci Code. It totaly prooves everything wrong that the DVC says. Sit down with the DVC, this book and a bible and let me know what you come up with. Cool stuff.

Really? Who wrote it? The DVC is just fiction. Wonder why anyone would take the time to dispute it....? :scratch:

terri said:
graigdavis said:

Really? Who wrote it? The DVC is just fiction. Wonder why anyone would take the time to dispute it....? :scratch:

Because so many people take it for solid fact. Dan Brown even goes so far as to say that its all fact. The DVC does a good job of turning the wheels in your head. But unfortunatly people dont take the time to really study and they believe the first thing they read that sounds like it makes sense. Hopefully people will take the time to read this book if they were interested enough.

it is writen by Darrell L. Bock

i think of dvc as a "hook," something that grabbed my attention and got me on the investigative track. i would not even bother quoting dvc, it is unnecessary once you read hbhg or do online research like john did, or both. documented history, available from many different reliable sources, knocks serious holes in the christian doctrine. i am interested in breaking the dvc, tho. i want to explore all points of view, and hold my final judgement until i have exhausted all sources of information. i think it might be a mistake to take just one work, either for or against, as the authoritative gospel. yes, pun intended;)
i'm curious, graig, does the breakingdvc book have anything to say about the direct contradictions between the synoptic gospels of the new testament? this is the particular issue i am pursuing at the moment, but it by no means is the only one i have researched thus far, nor is it my last stop on my own journey...

Oh, and on less of a theological track, I read that Brown is currently working on the sequel to DVC, and also that the dustjacket to DVC contains a code that gives information about the sequel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back