TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

These look great, the off camera flash was a good idea. However, you had your strobe a little too close for the first one. His arm is hot.

Its really hard for me not to get hot spots. I actually use on camera flash.

Nice work. Skin tones and colour look great. What a patient little man.

#2 and #3 really capture his "attitude" Great pictures.

Its really hard for me not to get hot spots. I actually use on camera flash.

I call BS. A sync cord doesn't count as on camera. on camera is the built in speedlight or your flash on the hot-shoe. Not only that, but the light is diffused, not specular.

These look like they were done using an umbrella.

The hotspots can be fixed just by bringing the flash further way and turning up the power. Inverse square law dictates that when the light source is closer, the more dramatic the changes are because when you halve the distance, you have 1/4th of the light.

Actually A J a friend of mine shoots on-camera by bouncing the flash off a card which produces similar results. It's hard to say if this is truly on or off camera flashing then :wink:.

Noel if you are using a PC sync cable or a hotshoe extension. I highly suggest you look at the cheap ebay wireless flash triggers. Cost $30 or so and will give you a greater latitude for creative lighting.

Actually A J a friend of mine shoots on-camera by bouncing the flash off a card which produces similar results. It's hard to say if this is truly on or off camera flashing then :wink:.
I guess... Is it someone holding a piece of foamcore or something, or an index card that's slipped in or velcro'd on the speedlight?

Noel if you are using a PC sync cable or a hotshoe extension. I highly suggest you look at the cheap ebay wireless flash triggers. Cost $30 or so and will give you a greater latitude for creative lighting.
Is that what you use on your speedlights? How much better/different is it than CLS?

The technique used here *as in most of my photos outdoors* is using my flash mounted on my camera (Promaster 5550dx) and a 33"? reflective umbrella hand held out to the left of my side and the flash bounced out of it.

Use what ya got, and make it look good.

True. Same thing as I was talking about. No it was not a bouncecard. For instance one shoot I joined him at he was bouncing off his 110cm reflector to make a really diffuse light. In another one it was a A3 sized white sheet of cardboard. If you make a bounce card the majority of the light still comes from close to the camera axis.

And no I don't use those triggers. A friend with a Canon does. I use CLS but there have been one or two occasions where CLS hasn't cut it because I was outdoors and the flash was behind me and couldn't be triggered. All in all though I imagine it would be far less user friendly as CLS since you would still need to set each flash manually and loose your wireless TTL.

Most reactions

Back