Daily long walks bag advice shoulder bag or backpack?

nuefox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've a dslr(d7000), one extra lens, ipad and some small stuff. I'm looking for a bag for daily use and long long walks. I'm in between two models but i wanted to ask you guys before ordering them. (his models are not available in my country so i'm ordering without actually trying them)
First one is shoulder bag, Vanguard Heralder 33.

http://www.vanguardworld.com/...ex.php/en/pv/products/detail-1-1-230-731.html

And the second one is Lowerpro Versapack 200 AW

Lowepro | Versapack™ 200 AW

Which is a backpack..
emoticon-smile.gif

And which one would be more comfy in long city walks? Backpack would make me feel like tourist eh
emoticon-smile.gif

Thanks a bunch

Depends how much gear you have I think. I would go with the backpack.. cause I bring 2 camera bodies and 3-4 lenses everywhere I go.. just incase. But that's just me.

Backpacks are nearly always more comfortable on a long walk if you're walking for long periods of time. They keep the weight over both shoulders and, provided you packed evenly, keeps it even. A shoulder bag can be a pain since it puts all the strain on one side and when walking a long way that can be an annoyance as you have to shift shoulders the whole time.

That said you're not actually carrying "too" much. You could get away with a light shoulderbag and the bonus is that you can change lenses in a far shorter space of time over using a backpack (which you have to take off to get into).

In the end its really down to your situation and also personal preference - in the end most photographers end up with a few bags because different situations and setups tend to lean toward a different kind of bag.

Backpack = balanced load and no bag swing.

Messenger bag = unbalanced load and bag swing.

"Fanny pack" or "waist pack"...carrying the load on the HIPS...that's what I've gone to. It's a lot easier to walk with the weight low, and on the hips.

I've tried many bags and I always ALWAYS come back to my domke F3. I walk all over the streets of L.A. with it. When this one is dead, I will buy a new one. Love it. Backpack may be more comfy with a heavy load, but with a light load, I prefer the convenience of having everything at my hip, easy to get to. Plus I like the way it looks compared to traditional camera bags.

Race Shooting Gear by bhop, on Flickr

These guys love theirs too
buck and his gear | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Domke F3 Small Kit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Domke F-series?? Oh, c'mon bhop...those is...soooo OLD-School, old-fashioned...only the most-popular,roomiest,best-sewn,sturdiest,toughest, best value bag in the photo world...who wants THAT??? A Domke F-series bag makes you look like a PJ.

I have the Vanguard bag and I really like it alot. I use it just about everyday and I carry my gripped T3i with the 55-250mm and 18-55mm plus a lens hood and my original iPad in it.

Which Vanguard bag ronlane Heralder 33 or other? I was also thinking about Vanguard up-rising 28...

This is a tricky one.. IMHO, it would depend on how often you'll want your camera in your hands... and for how long.

Backpack = More comfortable (as others have said).. however, They are tricky to get gear in and out of. Even with the VersaPack's side access you might still miss a shot or two before you can get your camera in your hands (swing the backpack off your back.. unzip.. grab camera.. swing backpack back or put on ground.. CLICK.. do everything in reverse). I have a few top/front/side loading backpacks and I've never been happy with the 'quick' access they offer.

Shoulder/Messenger = Harder to get comfortable.. however, Easier to get access to gear (flip up cover.. grab camera.. CLICK.. put back in bag)

My personal favorite is a shoulder bag when i'm walking around. I like getting to my gear quick and not having to fuss with a backpack. I would recommend the ThinkTank Retrospective 7..

Retrospective® 7 (Blue Slate)

I have the Larger Retrospective 20 and it is the most comfortable bag I've had (and i have a guest room closet full of bags). Its built like a tank, has survived rain and snow storms, doesn't look like a camera bag and has more features then most other bags.

I only use a backpack now when i go hiking to a specific destination.. (3 hour hike to a Arch in moab.. CLICK.. 3 hour hike back)

+1 on the f3 Bhop. I keep mine in the car all the time. I carry other bags ( usually either the Domke f2 or the Billy Packington ) to work and such because I have a lot of junk. But when I am ready to go on a photo-walk of I'll stuff my camera, lens, wallet,phone, cards,food,water, meds etc.. Into the f3 real quick and go. It's a very light unobstrusive setup.
Usually it's much lighter because most of the time the camera and lens is out of the bag and in my hand. :)))

No matter how many bags I ever try, I usually always go back to either the f3 or the f2. They are just great.
I know it's not and f3 and not much, but I did find an old pic I took of my f2 just to post some pic. :D

I've tried many bags and I always ALWAYS come back to my domke F3. I walk all over the streets of L.A. with it. When this one is dead, I will buy a new one. Love it. Backpack may be more comfy with a heavy load, but with a light load, I prefer the convenience of having everything at my hip, easy to get to. Plus I like the way it looks compared to traditional camera bags.

Race Shooting Gear by bhop, on Flickr

These guys love theirs too
buck and his gear | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Domke F3 Small Kit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Attachments

• $DSC_0614.jpg
    $DSC_0614.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 212
Backpacks are generally more versatile, IMHO. If you need to kneel, bend over, or move your arms in an odd way you never have to worry about where your bag will be going.

Most reactions

Back