Dalton | Senior Portrait | RumbleBee| SOOC and extreme Edit

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dalton is a friend of the family, so we had a blast shooting.

He is a very outgoing and fun person to be around, always cracking jokes and having a good time.

He likes extreme edits, and loves 'Instagram'. So I decided to edit one just for him, its his portraits after all right?

Extreme Edit
14907331039_3344ac660f_c.jpg

SOOC
15071001406_c4f584844d_c.jpg

My edit (toned down a bit)
14907520728_f2f1c0e066_c.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mind the heavy handed editing but that green. Tone down ze green saturation just slightly , because it's competing with him and the truck

I don't mind the heavy handed editing but that green. Tone down ze green saturation just slightly , because it's competing with him and the truck

Even in my edit? I toned it down, you think more?

Even in my edit? I toned it down, you think more?

Oh yeah, it's not as bad in the toned down version. That top left corner still stands out a lot because of its brightness. Maybe burning that bright spot a little bit?

Heres another photo from the shoot...I chose this one bc it was the best pose and smirk, just wish I had a little more room to the left.

14907551860_20bc3886bb_c.jpg

These three shots are a fascinating example of how big, broad strokes in editing can alter a photo's impact. First off, a NICE shot! Good pose, good propping, good location! The way I see things, the SOOC edit makes the pavement subtle, and does not "elevate" the pavement to the level of a subject the two edits raise the presence of the pavement to quite a big part of the shot, by making them lighter. I honestly think of these three shots, the SOOC image is the best image of the guy, and his nice truck! Why? The background is basically not a factor, the yellow truck stands out strongly, and his face and arms are pretty prominent. The ground is a solid, low-tone, neutral color. His jeans are dark, and do not draw much attention. He and the truck come directly to the forefront in the SOOC look. Your edit is okay, but the jeans legs look pretty bright.

Instagram's filters do a LOT of kind of random lightening and burning-in, and they can change substantial areas of tones, like say the pavement, or whatever, so Instagram filters are actually good demonstrations of the value of dodging and burning, and selected tonal re-mapping or enhancement/sublimation of major image areas. Your extreme edit has one thing that bugs me: overly saturated greens. That might be a personal thing, but to me, whenever I see a realllllly fake, intense, cranked-up green color in a natural world image, I cringe. Not sure why, really, but it draws my eye to a huge degree, and the really intense greens in the upper left corner of both edits really,really,really "pull my eye" away from the guy, and right to the upper left corner of the frame. But anyway, I like the way Instagram can change an image's look, and these three shots are kind of similar to Instagram, at one level, that of big, bold, broad-area shifts in color or tonality. Good post!

Great post Derrel! 100% nailed it. Just goes to show how fast you can take a photo to the extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back