Damn Cold

Wyjid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.soultreephotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was the last blast of winter for us. -12C and 90km/h winds. i had to look over my shoulder, think about what i wanted to shoot, do a spin and quickdraw my camera out of my coat, snap a shot off and turn and hide again. in th time it took me to compose something in the viewfinder i could feel my skin freezing. :confused: Brrrr.

MWYJ3539sm.jpg

MWYJ3532sm.jpg

Cold indeed... why were you even out?! :p

#1 is interesting, but I think the haze from the snow gives it too much of a hazy feeling.

#2 is pretty nice. I like the contrast of the dock with all of the white snow and ice -- plus the big band of blowing snow out on the lake. :)

not really a fan of the first one but i love the second!
it DOES look damn cold hah
nicely done :)

no.2 is GREAT!!!, the position of the dock is great, the contrast as well

100% perfect ;)

if you get in a contest with this it would be definitely a winner!

I'm really liking #2 :D

I like the 2nd , but maybe would be better without th elight spot in the sky, very distracting,

2 is very cool. If you would forgive my transgression a bit, I thought I'd take a crack at a bit of editing. Let me know what you think.

MWYJ3532sm.jpg

What I did...

1. Boosted the contrast 20 points.
2. Boosted blue saturation by quite a bit (50 points or so)
3. Boosted the red saturation a bit (30 points or so)
4. Sharpened it (smart sharpen, 70%, 1.2 pixel radius)
5. Cropped out some of the sky.

It's not perfect the way I have it, either, but I like where I was going with it. :lol: EDIT: Actually, now that I look again, I think I really like it. I'll take a print. :lol:

Great subjects in both shots for me - hands off to manaheim - great finishing touches

daithi

I like both; I think they succeed in conveying a feeling of complete desolation. In #1 I like that you can see the shapes of the trees in the background, albeit barely... I'd probably crop it differently (chopping some of the left side and bottom), but that's just me. Number 2 has great lines; I think the sun actually adds to the general feeling of desolation, but the fact that it's completely white is a tad distracting.

Great use of muted colours to create the mood in both.

I also dig manaheim's edit, it's more immediately pleasing to the eye... but the mood of the image changes completely... so much that what I perceive is not desolation anymore. A different animal than the original photo.

By the way, those pictures look like spring to me! (Then again, I live in Winnipeg... :lol:)

i think i like the sun spot in it if it's left uncropped. i like manaheim's crop, but i think i prefer the desaturation (interesting manaheim, you brought the colours back to a less edited version of the shot, as i desaturated it in my processing). a sfar as the first one goes, i like the idea of the crop i think i'll try that. but i like the level of contrast it's at right now, the haze of the snow. i should post the original of the second one for you to play with, manaheim, as the sun spot in the unedited version has the potential to creat a very different shot.

i think i like the sun spot in it if it's left uncropped. i like manaheim's crop, but i think i prefer the desaturation (interesting manaheim, you brought the colours back to a less edited version of the shot, as i desaturated it in my processing). a sfar as the first one goes, i like the idea of the crop i think i'll try that. but i like the level of contrast it's at right now, the haze of the snow. i should post the original of the second one for you to play with, manaheim, as the sun spot in the unedited version has the potential to creat a very different shot.

Oh that's funny. I undid your do. :lol:

Sure, I'd be curious to see the original and play with it. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back