Damn..Talk About Bittersweet

PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
EDIT: Topic has evolved. Read replies to understand.

Hey all,

Talk about friggin' bittersweet.. I'll be going to Scottsdale AZ for a conference were I'm going to be the official photographer, and I'm going to rent this. Considering I only own a plastic 18-55, it's gonna be pure heaven when I'm shooting with it, but it'll be like losing a pet dog when I have to return it.. That's all, just thought I'd share the joy and the pain.

Phil,

Last edited:
Is it an indoor conference? If so, wouldn't it be better to get a lens with a constant large aperture? (f/2.8)

You'll want fast glass for sure... I'd go with the 2.8 as mentioned.

I thought you had a Nikon for some reason.

Depth of field will be less, but without a wider aperture indoors you might end up with AF problems and also with the possibilty that you will have to use very high ISO to get your shutter speed up - sometimes you have to have a small depth to get that shutter speed - then your focus needs to be spot on (eyes!).
Honestly I thought it odd, but I went back and did have a look at a load of "pro" wildlife photos - many more than I thought showed very little to now depth - but the focus where it was was in the right place and that pulls the image together.

Also I know your pain -- I got to hold a 300mm f2.8 IS L once --- soooo quick and sharp....and that was with a 1.4TC as well! gah silly price rises!

Yes but the short end of the lens (70mm) means you'll have to be well back from any small groups you're trying to shoot.

Do you really think you'll need that much reach? 200 mm.

I would think you'd be going for a fast wider angle zoom.

Camera to subject + subject to background will have a good deal of affect on how your DoF will show. If you're a good distance away, the Dof will not be razor thin at f/2.8. Search for a thread that JerryPH started a several months ago to give you an example.

I would rent nothing less than (constant) f/2.8 if getting a zoom.

Yes but the short end of the lens (70mm) means you'll have to be well back from any small groups you're trying to shoot.

Do you really think you'll need that much reach? 200 mm.

I would think you'd be going for a fast wider angle zoom.

Yeah I was worried about the 70mm thing.. I want the 200mm because I'm not sure how much reach I'll need.. My longest reaching shot would be across probably a large ballroom. How much reach would I need for something like that? Is there like an, MM to actual distance converter for lenses anywhere on the internet?

Camera to subject + subject to background will have a good deal of affect on how your DoF will show. If you're a good distance away, the Dof will not be razor thin at f/2.8. Search for a thread that JerryPH started a several months ago to give you an example.

I would rent nothing less than (constant) f/2.8 if getting a zoom.

What do you mean by "thin"? Do you mean sharp, or soft? Rahh..So many terms I still don't know:er:.

What do you mean by "thin"? Do you mean sharp, or soft? Rahh..So many terms I still don't know:er:.

Search for a thread that JerryPH started a several months ago to give you an example.
Thin meaning the "in focus" from front to back. Different lenses and apertures will yeild different results, but your concern of DoF may be squashed by camera to subjuct + subject to background.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back