Dan + Winters = Awesome!

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was turned onto this guy today. I am more than intrigued by his work. I am actually inspired. My friend was basically like, "Check out this guy I ran across." I told him that I didn't think that was anything he would like because his work looks really processed. He hates things like that, I however love this work along with people like Dave Hill. I was even more impressed when he told me that his work was shot with film. I couldn't believe it.

Any of you guys ever follow or admire his work? I read that he usually shoots around f/32. That is crazy! Completely different from everything I have learned or been taught. I am hoping to study his work and attempt to recreate some of it digitally. It will never have that same look though.

Dan Winters Photography

Hes shot many famous people. I mean, you know you hit it big when you have a portrait of Mr. Rogers in your port. My favorite is the Michael Jordan shot with the rings. Very nice work.

Yeah, that's top-notch stuff.

My favorites are the shots of Sandra Bullock and the one of Tom Waits.

great stuff thanks for sharing

shooting in f/32 is ok when you are using a hasselblad (or something like it!) :)

My friend I would shoot with would almost always be at f/16 or f/22 with his blad. Even with my 200 dollar medium format the f/16 and f/22 are SHARP.

Definitely some sweet stuff! :D

Does anyone else believe he does some kind of digital edit to these after they are scanned?

Im sure he does some dodging, burning, sharpening, and color adjusting. but that is probably the most he does.

You know, i always think that a good workflow and post processing will surpass the skill of using any gear, i have seen someone using normal cheap camera and his original shots out of camera are nothing special and just good, and others using better gear and have very nice amazing shots out of camera, after they play on their photos, the guy with normal cheap camera has his shots are truly out of world and so unbelievable, the other guy with expensive gear his shots are great but never look WOW beside the first cheap gear guy.

I find it interesting how often Dan keeps his subjects so low in the frame.

That picture of Obama looks like a caricature. Nice work he does, though. I really like them all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back