Dana Point Harbor at night.

MikeFlorendo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not posted in a while but I took these last night. The pictures posted weird as far as the last two not in the body of the post. #3 is the a house with a million dollar view!

$Dana_point_jetty (1 of 1).jpg

$Dana_point_4 (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• $Dana_point_cliff1 (1 of 1).jpg
    $Dana_point_cliff1 (1 of 1).jpg
    821 KB · Views: 153
  • $Dana_point_3 (1 of 1).jpg
    $Dana_point_3 (1 of 1).jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 145
Cool shots Mike. I like the last one best. I wonder what that shot would look like taking it from the Sun dial above the harbor.

Back in the day, did a lot of surfing there, but then they went and made it into a marina...bleah!

The images seem a bit on the noisy side. What Camera/ISO/Aperture/Shutter were you using?

Back in the day, did a lot of surfing there, but then they went and made it into a marina...bleah!

The images seem a bit on the noisy side. What Camera/ISO/Aperture/Shutter were you using?

Yes I noticed the noise I did my best in LR to reduce it but I couldn't get rid of all of it. Perhaps I need to work on them. All of them except #1 were 30 sec, f5.6 and iso 1000, Shot #1 20 sec, f10 and iso 1600. I wanted more stars but in retrospect I should have taken the single shot at iso 100 and just bumped up the exposure time. The stacked photos I didn't want to go over 30 sec so I could use my remote lock and get consecutive shots with the same exposure time.

Oh yeah Nikon D5200, Tokina 11-18 2.8 & Nikkor 55-200

Killer Dana was before my time. I was 4 when we moved to SC in 1976. I hear it was a really good point break though.

Last edited:
$Harbor JPG (1 of 1).jpg

Cool shots Mike. I like the last one best. I wonder what that shot would look like taking it from the Sun dial above the harbor.

Sun dial? Where is that? I took some from the gazebo a while back.

Last edited:
I am sure 1/2 the free world would disagree with me, but I am not a huge LR fan as I find I can do the same thing in ACR and PS...it's that each to his own thing, and PS in my thing at this point in time. In PS, I did several adjustment levels with differing mode selections to darken the sky, remove some of the noise and do some color correction in the harbor area and sky. Working a 72 dpi file is a challenge so my edit is not where I'd want it either. I am sure you can rework your RAW file in LR and get closer to where you want this image. In the shooting side, I'd shoot my pure night scenes closer to 400 ISO, f/11 up to 25 seconds, adjusting ISO only as needed.

$florendo.jpg

Thanks Ceeboy i'll work on it some more and usually I go iso 100-200 but I wanted to get that even exposure for the stacked photos and with 30 sec being the max setting without having to time it and take each shot by hand I had to take the iso high and the aperture low. The single shot you edited I should have dropped down to iso 100 and manually held the shutter open and time it. Thanks for posting and for the advice-

View attachment 80313

It's located just a few blocks SW from the gazebo. If you drive, I think that first street is blocked. However, if you go straight down, you will run into a dead end. Turn right right and the sun dial is up a few stairs.

View attachment 80313

It's located just a few blocks SW from the gazebo. If you drive, I think that first street is blocked. However, if you go straight down, you will run into a dead end. Turn right right and the sun dial is up a few stairs.

I'll have to check that out! Thanks-

Most reactions

Back