Dance Competition

box5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We have done a few dance competitions, but are starting to do more and I have a questions about lens.

We use a Canon 10d. Last competition, I rented a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM lens. I didn't like it. The auto focus was really off, and that is something that I need. I am trying to find a good lens for dance. Sometimes, the only light in the room is what is on stage, other times, the whole room is lit up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Robin

I know very little regarding photographing such events, but in all honesty, the only faster lenses I can th ink of are the 50mm and 85mm f/1.8, which may not 'search' for focus as much in the very low lighting. I recently borrowed the 70-200 f/2.8 IS for a play and was amazed with its performance, so the only thing I can think of is perhaps the one you rented wasn't working properly or perhaps the lack of IS would lead to blurring as opposed to poor autofocus.
Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out, but good luck and welcome to TPF :D

Thanks for the quick reply. I was shooting on a monopod since it didn't have IS. But I also was wondering if the lens itself wasn't working properly since it was a rental.

Robin

I have the Canon 70-200 F2.8 L USM and i've never had a problem with the focusing. As suggested the lens may have been faulty but if the dance hall was dark with lots of flashing and moving lights then it may have been difficult for the camera to focus regardless of which lens was attached.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back