Dance Photos

UncleRico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm curious to hear what people think about these photos.

The first one was done at home against white paper. I think it looks a little gray, but I still like it. Any tips for shooting against pure white. My always seem to have a grayishness.

The second was during a performance where flash photography was not permitted. It was my first time shooting with a high ISO. I think it came out OK.

Thanks,

Ryan

4222605373_ae75045961.jpg

4184101651_fc560b4dd8.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2748/4222605373_ae75045961.j

The second shot is excellent (I think). Although it could do with a crop to remove the out edges which are blurred. The detail/expression on the faces is great photography.

No doubt this will be wheeled out when your daughter turns 18!!

Remember this sweetie? :lmao:

Last edited:
These may be great but they really are too small to see well.
It is beyond me why people on this site post such damn small pictures. Why not post it 800 pixels high so people can actually see the image detail?

The backgrounds are greyish because the camera sees all the brightness and is trying to make the average middle grey.

The second shot is excellent (I think). Although it could do with a crop to remove the out edges which are blurred. The detail/expression on the faces is great photography.

No doubt this will be wheeled out when your daughter turns 18!!

Remember this sweetie? :lmao:

Thanks for the comments and suggestion, Cooler. I will crop it and see how it looks.

These may be great but they really are too small to see well.
It is beyond me why people on this site post such damn small pictures. Why not post it 800 pixels high so people can actually see the image detail?

The backgrounds are greyish because the camera sees all the brightness and is trying to make the average middle grey.

Sorry, Traveler. I always post smaller, because I didn't think people liked to scroll. Here are larger images (still not 800 high). Also, how would I compensate for the camera trying to make average middle grey? Is that done purely in post?

Repost 1:
4222605373_ae75045961_b.jpg

Repost 2:

4184101651_fc560b4dd8_b.jpg

First, these are really solid starts. I think #2 is terrific, great energy, interesting. Good pictures don't have be all sharp or correctly upright. It does seem a little overbright and there is a strange demarcation to the shadow. If you did some extensive post-processing on this, I would suggest going back and pulling back a bunch to less bright, less sharp and smooth out the vignetting. A nice way to soften these kinds of pictures is to use a very fine watercolor filter on a new layer of the original image and then adjust the opacity until it barely shows as a softening effect.

The first picture Could be fixed in PPing but would be better done while taking the picture. Move her further from the backdrop and light the paper separately. Note the deep shadows in her eye sockets and armpit. You need to soften the lights and move them so they don't make those shadows. She seems a little bright and contrasty.

I photograph my daughter's gymnastics....no flash allowed....and I think you did great. It looks a bit tilted though.

I saw your thread, HikinMike. They were great shots. I agree, and others commented on that too. I'll play around and see if I can fix it.

First, these are really solid starts. I think #2 is terrific, great energy, interesting. Good pictures don't have be all sharp or correctly upright. It does seem a little overbright and there is a strange demarcation to the shadow. If you did some extensive post-processing on this, I would suggest going back and pulling back a bunch to less bright, less sharp and smooth out the vignetting. A nice way to soften these kinds of pictures is to use a very fine watercolor filter on a new layer of the original image and then adjust the opacity until it barely shows as a softening effect.

The first picture Could be fixed in PPing but would be better done while taking the picture. Move her further from the backdrop and light the paper separately. Note the deep shadows in her eye sockets and armpit. You need to soften the lights and move them so they don't make those shadows. She seems a little bright and contrasty.

Thank you for the informative critique. Some of the PP stuff is a little beyond me at the moment, but I will try to follow your advice.

Number 2, Crop above the knee/lampshade and straighten a 5-6 degrees to the right?

Thanks, again Cooler. I'll see what I can do.

Ryan

Number 2, Crop above the knee/lampshade and straighten a 5-6 degrees to the right?

Thanks for the feedback on these photos. Here is an updated version that attempts to incorporate everything. I did the watercolor filter at 15% opacity, but decided to scrap that. I'll have to keep playing with how to soften it a bit. I still don't like the fact that I've chopped the feet off of the girl on the right, but there were set decorations that chopped them off anyway.

4229373497_f9b0aed62b_b.jpg

Thanks again.

Ryan

Solid shots. The first one the light is a little to sharply overhead move it so you get more light into her eyes and a little more to the side.
I like the new crop on the second one, see how their energy comes out of the photo.
Nice job.
Shooting white you need to increase your exposure, then in photoshop click on the white color with one of the eyedroppers.

These are excellent! Especially the second one, what ISO were you on? And its an adorable dance outfit!

first is a fine pose....the advice to throw second light separately is helpful to achieve the white bg.....second is terrific with the children on the high....good use of higher ISO....this makes help us to move our camera switch to other settings too.

Thanks, everyone for the additional comments.

These are excellent! Especially the second one, what ISO were you on? And its an adorable dance outfit!

Nikkor, in order to get my shutter speed at 1/100 of a second, I had to bump my ISO to 1600.

first is a fine pose....the advice to throw second light separately is helpful to achieve the white bg.....second is terrific with the children on the high....good use of higher ISO....this makes help us to move our camera switch to other settings too.

Thanks, gopal. It looks like I have no choice but to invest in another light ;)

Ryan

Most reactions

Back