dangerous x-rays?

StvShoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rpi.edu
i had a thought...

i'm going to italy next semester. when i get on the plane, they'll use some kind of x-ray or something to scan my stuff.
anyone know if this type of scan would damage a digital camera? i know it's not good to point a digital camera at the sun, so could a penetrating scan be damaging also?

I don't know about digital camera, but if you are carrying films, DON'T let it pass thru those x-rays.

The swear the x-ray won't hurt digital. It'll hurt your film though. They will want to x-ray it anyways unless it's fast film. I put labels on all of my film that says:

Lab - Push to 1600.

That makes sure that they hand check them. Just leave yourself extra time for them to hand check the film. Los Angeles just waved me through but Lexington Kentucky had to swipe each container (inside and out) before letting me through.

Don't worry about the x-rays. It won't hurt your digital. You don't have much to worry about with film either although I would not check film in baggage.

We went to Spain in February with a 5meg Sony digital and a 35mm film camera. Went through at least 6 x-ray machines going and comming as well as probably another 8-10 machines entering various museums, palaces, etc.

I did try to keep the number of times the film went through by only taking as much as I needed for the day. Also, lots of museums won't allow photography anyway. Most of my 35mm film was 200 or 400 iso and it suffered no ill effects. The digital had no problems either.

Due to the hightened security all over the world now you will have to put the equipment through the x-ray machines. They won't honor the hand checking anymore or at least the ones I tried didn't.

the x-rays are said to be safe up to ISO 1600... at least that what the label said. That is the x-ray machine for hand carries. I am not sure about those check in ones. I think they are actually stronger.

The X-Rays for checked baggage are much stronger. As for carry on, most countries have policies giving you the right to have it checked by hand. If you are concerned, check the web for the country you are flying from and print off the pertaining policy. Hard for security to argue if you have the rules in hand.

thanks people. :)

i've got another question... anyone know where to read about Italian photo laws?
simnine posted this link http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf in another thread, and since i've finally got a feel for the US laws, it would be a great comfort to know italy's too. the public rights stuff at the krages website is probably about the same in italy, right?

There always loopholes...what you wanna find is the loophole that says "If you dont know any of the laws/loopholes, tthey dont apply to you" Problem is its catch 22.

Go check out a book by Rick Steves. I think he has one called europe through the back door. Not only is it a great book to travel by but he has all of the laws listed in his book. He'll tell you what you can and can't do in plain english.

Just thought I'd post my two cents.

I've just gotten back from a Carnival Cruise (a few photos coming soon in the Photo Post forum), and thanks to either the airport's or the cruiseline's x-ray machine, I was unable to take any video with my digital camcorder. Granted, this is not standard 35mm film as this topic was started asking about, but I thought I'd share my experience anyway. One/all of the x-ray machines completely wiped my current tape with some dear memories on it, and made my 6 blank tapes unusable.

Use caution with these machines. I, for one, will never take any other type of film at all through them.

My 10D has been through several x-ray machines used for carry-on items and so far no problem but having had a little experience with ionizing radiation I know it is possible for it to corrupt a cameras memory (firmware).
I don't believe that it would cause any permanent damage though and worst case it would mean I'd have to reload the firmware.
If one or two memory cells in the memory card were corrupted I'd doubt it would even be noticeable.

Most reactions

Back