Danjil

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last Thursday, I once again whiled away the hour that I usually have while my daughter is in her ballet class by going to the station of that particular town. There are always some photo opportunities there, that somehow (judged by my standards, which are pretty low in that area) come close to "street photography", though it may well be "platform photography".

That is where I met Danjil.
He came to me while he saw me pack up all my gear and asked me the way to the "Aldi"-supermarket, but simply repeating "Aldi? Aldi?", shrugging and pointing somewhere. I explained that it is far to walk and pointed how, myself, but understanding was not easy. But he turned around ... which was when I saw his concertina. "Music?" I asked his back, and he turned round immediately and gave me a broad smile "Ja! Ja!", pointing at himself. "Spielen?" he asked - which translates into "play?". So he played for me and let me take his photo. It is the first photo I have ever taken of a total stranger with asking his permission before and giving him a "portrait"... well. "Give"... that does not quite apply, I'm afraid. He will never see it. In our quite halting "conversation" I tried to find out his name, but he started counting on his fingers, first showing me all then, and then counting four to add to the ten. Ah, ok, fourteen. "Romania?" brought about a vigorous nod!
But "name?" Not even the Tarzan-Jane-trick worked ("I - Corinna, you -?"). Until I got out my ID card and showed him my name, and then he went: "Aaaaah! Danjil!" Well, that is how I heard it and I can only assume it spells this way.

Meet Danjil, the concertina musician who was looking for his dad in a town in North Germany at the Aldi-supermarket and did not find him...

Danjil.jpg

(so sorry about the on-camera flash but there was just not enough light...!)

Id like to see this in a great black and white...I really think it would bring out this picture to its full potential!

What a sweet story! :D I like this image. I love that dirty old red accordian, which he no doubt treasures. What a great-looking boy. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing this one. :)

Well... it may take a while until I dare to just photograph someone this close up again ;)
But Arty suggested the black and white version, and I did not want to lose the colour of the concertina, so in MSN he talked me through ...?

Danjil_SelCol.jpg

Selective colouring!

Note that I have NEVER in all my life done this before!!!!

Well, without you, Arty, I would not have known where to begin :D Thanks for the tutorial :mrgreen:

a wonderful story to go with it corinna! very nice shot :)
thanks for sharing with us your experience :thumbsup:

That is a wonderful story you share with us. Street photographs always mean so much more when they have a story with them!

Good photo too - more! :D

Very cool Corinna. Isnt it amazing how two strangers can pass, share a moment, and not you have capture it forever. Well done.
I like the second version too. Very nice.

LaFoto said:
Well, without you, Arty, I would not have known where to begin :D Thanks for the tutorial :mrgreen:

I just talked you through the actions, you chose the levels, and what should be in colour, and lets not forget that its your photo :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back