Dappled Light, Glen Etive.

Tim Tucker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Open for comment.

I've spent the day making small changes, walking away for a few hours then coming back and undoing them. It is one of about 50 frames (thank you digital ;)) trying to capture patterns of sunlight through the broken cloud and is a classic view up Glen Etive. It was shot late on the same morning as "Sunrise Pastels" and the wind was driving the clouds at a reasonable rate, and trying to blow the tripod over. I was watching about three key areas and would shoot a series as the patterns of light crossed the scene.
Trouble is I've very much got Peter Graham's 'Wandering Shadows' on my mind, and though I'm happy with the light/dark the late winter lack of colour is no substitute for late summer. ;)

View attachment 117293

EDIT: Added a little bit of colour.

Last edited:
Wonderful photo. Excellent composition using 3, dramatic depth and color.

Thanks for the comments.

Wonderful photo. Excellent composition using 3, dramatic depth and color.

To be honest 1/3rds never crossed my mind, I was just looking to balance the rhythm of light and dark in the horizontal bands. But having read your comment I stuck the grid on it and yes it does split into 3 very nice horizontal bands.
The main composition, (and why it's such a classic view), becomes more obvious when you put the rabatement grid on it. Then you can see both the balance on the vertical axis and the repetition of shape in the mountains:

rabatement grid.jpg

The impression of depth I think comes from the contrast in local contrast between the sunlit edges and the softer shaded areas beyond. I'm not sure that it isn't just a little too bold and un-convincing.
It is a classic view that I keep re-visiting, and one I find always looks better in broken cloud and sunlight. Always though, when I stand in front of this view I'm aware that I'm just a spectator with a camera. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back