Dark Photos

RuffianZenyatta16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im having a little trouble with my camera. For the past few days some of my photos are coming out very dark, like I was shooting in low light. I haven't really changed any settings except for the aperture and shutterspeed. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I use a Nikon D5100. I just got it for christmas so i'm still trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Have you somehow changed your EV settings (basically, a manual over-ride to the suggested meter settings)?

Post a sample (with exif data) so we can get a handle on what's going on.

+1. It's fairly easy to inadvertently set an Exposure Compensation + or - value with Nikon's lower tier entry-level DSLRs.

EC will show in the viewfinder or Info display on the rear LCD - see pages 10 and 70 of your D5100 users manual.

If you've inadvertently changed your metering settings, such as from average weighted to spot metering or centre weighted you can end up with some dark photos, depending on what the camera is metering for. Changing your aperture and shutter speed IS changing a lot and can affect your photos tremendously.

Definitely look at the exposure compensation. I had mine set a few clicks - and didnt notice for a while

Im having a little trouble with my camera. For the past few days some of my photos are coming out very dark, like I was shooting in low light. I haven't really changed any settings except for the aperture and shutterspeed. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I use a Nikon D5100. I just got it for christmas so i'm still trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Did you change your Daylight settings of your camera ???

check your meter settings also; on the nikon it can be easy to bump it to a spot meter which may alter the metering. i agree with the exposure compensation as a first step, but this could have something to do with it too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back