Dark Satanic Mills

tempra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artzam.com
This one reminds me of the old photos of life in the early 20th century in the north of england which was always clouded by thick smoke from all of the coal being burned to power the mighty steam engines that ran the looms of the cotton mills.

Of course the smoke in this one is fog, and the mill is Dartmoor prison - mind you, it is nearly 200 years old. The prison that is, not the photo.

mills.jpg

I love the mood of this frame!!! Dark and satanic may be a little dramatic. I think I would like to see this in color. If at all possible visit this location often; you are on to something here.

craig said:
I love the mood of this frame!!! Dark and satanic may be a little dramatic. I think I would like to see this in color. If at all possible visit this location often; you are on to something here.

heh, the Dark Satanic bit is a phrase stolen from Blakes The New Jerusalem, and it's usually used in the UK to describe the North West of England, as thats where the bulk of the old cotton spinning industry was. It's all gone now, and smokeless fuels are the order of the day, so it's not too dark and satanic anymore - it's just got Darfion :lol:

Oh yeah, and getting to this location is a good 400 mile round trip - I suppose I could get there for free by other means, but then I wouldn't be able to get the outside looking in angle - and they might take my camera off me. I do intend to go back there over the summer though.

you wanted to see it in colour? here you are - Canoncan, the shadows were filled with mist, and this is a crop of a larger photo, so there ain't much detail to be had really :(

dp.jpg

Its grim up north! :D

I like both of them :). As it happens, I prefer the colour version as it reminds me of hiking on damp winter mornings. However, I agree that the BW fits the title much better.

b/w is much better than color one (which looks like another ordinary shot).
Try to colorize it a bit in PS to enhance the mood.

Thanks for the color. I like it better. Maybe a little more saturation. Again; good capture. A bit of a bummer that it is so far away. I can't wait for the summer version!

Most reactions

Back