Darkness for C&C.

Well, 125 views later and no replies, so I'll give you my 2 cents.

First, I'll say I like the detail and the focus seems to be good on those areas that are lit. Nowhere seems to be too overly washed out. Honestly, though, beyond that I really don't have much to say. I mean you were clearly trying to test out different lighting setups, and I would say you did a good job with this style of lighting technically (though I don't know what you were going for look/style wise). With photos like this though, where there is more black then subject, there just isn't much to CC on, you know?

Looks like the light was coming from above. This casts a large shadow obscuring the left eye and the lower left side of the face to fall into darkness. Not sure what you were going for, but I'd probably try with the light coming from lower down. Also, I think you could use a diffuser or shoot through umbrella to soften the light and avoid the hot-spot on your forehead. Again, it depends on what you were trying to get.

I'm a noob, so use my comments with caution.

Thanks for the CC. this was actually all PP as the original was shot in the day with him sitting in the sun. I wanted to try something different...

Most reactions

Back